215 sub dimentions/configurations?

pugs

« on: 23 Feb 2005, 04:27 am »
What are the dimentions of the 215 sub?  It looks like from the website that it can be ordered in a horizontal and vertical configuration.  Is that true?  Would it be a bad thing to have the sub(s) partially firing into the back of the RM30s?  My room is only 12' wide, and I might need to place the sub(s) partially behind the mains.

warnerwh

« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2005, 05:18 am »
Pugs: I'm pretty sure you can only order a lowboy cabinet.  One thing I wonder is why couldn't someone put it on it's side with the passive radiator at the wall.  VMPS bass is certainly outstanding which means they are quite large and making a tall boy would no doubt help some people.  If you look at the CES picture with the three RM 30's you can get an idea of it's size as the woofer is 15".

pugs

« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2005, 06:59 am »
Do you think it's a bad thing for the subs to partially fire into the back of the mains?  My mains will only be 1-2' away from the side walls so if I want to put the subs in the corners, there's going to be a little overlap.

rosconey

« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2005, 11:35 am »
my large sub is right behind one of my main speakers-cant notice a thing  different than when no speaker was in front.

i think it has to do with the size of bass wavelengths-ive seen subs that are made to go behind furniture.
so i dont see any problems :mrgreen:

John Casler

« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2005, 05:07 pm »
Quote from: pugs
Do you think it's a bad thing for the subs to partially fire into the back of the mains?  My mains will only be 1-2' away from the side walls so if I want to put the subs in the corners, there's going to be a little overlap.

Hi Pugs,

That shouldn't be any problem at all, for the reason Rosconey points out.

I beleive the 215 ships with a black finished piece that keeps the "slot/base" (which is shipped seperatly) from getting damaged.

This piece can be "re-attached" once the slot/base is screwed into the speaker, which will allow you to use it horizontally or vertically.

I do this with one of my LARGERs.

I don't know the exact dimensions, but it is slightly smaller than the LARGER.

ctviggen

« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2005, 05:33 pm »
I'm going to set both of my Largers vertical (on their sides).  However, I currently climb on one of the Largers when I want to do something to my preamp; I'm not sure what I'm going to do if I can no longer climb on the Larger.

Marbles

« Reply #6 on: 23 Feb 2005, 05:49 pm »
How tall are you???

rosconey

« Reply #7 on: 23 Feb 2005, 06:37 pm »
i've done the vertical thing with my large sub before-
i want to try and make a corner tallboy cabinet for the drivers someday-

ctviggen

« Reply #8 on: 23 Feb 2005, 06:42 pm »
Marbles,

It's not really the height, it's my short arms!  I have to climb on the Larger now because it's right near my preamp.  If I stood to one side of the Larger, I couldn't see and/or have the reach to do anything with my preamp.  When I stick the Larger on its side, I think I'm going to put it on something so that I can slide the Larger out of the way; else, I'll never be able to see what's going on behind my preamp (and, believe me, there's a lot going on back there -- the amount of wires is incredible).