A brief introduction

HaroldNoell

A brief introduction
« on: 23 May 2020, 09:11 pm »
61 year old Grandfather who is finally getting back into high fidelity. Really tired of listening to some lady named Alexa who plays wife's music that has no range, little dynamics and seems compressed. I miss my old speakers and analog audio. Had to put the good stuff in storage while raising children who loved to push buttons that made lights appear and sometimes sounds. I am now slowly accruing components to satisfy my cravings. Some of my old gear may be worth refreshing and using. I will certainly need help as I understand very little when it comes to digital music. I know it can be a pleasant and convenient experience but I will need good advice as I do not have thousands of dollars to waste onexperiments. 

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: A brief introduction
« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2020, 02:18 pm »
Welcome Harold :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2020, 02:22 pm »
Welcome!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2020, 04:12 pm »
Welcome!

There's never been a better time to find good sound at a reasonable price.  Check out the Cheap and Cheerful circle for ideas.

This favorable value equation especially applies to digital.  For instance, for $20/month or less you can have CD quality streaming of millions of albums.  For $550 you can buy a wireless streamer/DAC/preamp (NAD Node 2i).  And for $300 you can pick up a pair of Kali LP-6 active speakers and have a complete system for under a grand. 

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2020, 10:10 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Harold   :thumb: