Introduction

Klerxst

Introduction
« on: 23 May 2020, 07:56 pm »
Hello my name is Scott. Looking for a pair of speakers and I guess I have to get a couple posts in before searching. I’ve kind of narrowed my list to Salk or Tekton but am always open to suggestions. My budget has been affected by the pandemic but I can probably go up to $3500. I have two amps a musical fidelity m6si and odyssey candela preamp with the stratos amp. My room is kind of small the monitors I have set up now are about 6.5 feet apart with about 1.5’ from the side walls and I can go anywhere from 7-10 from in front of the speakers. I had b&w 804s and was happy with them but want to try something different. Am leaning towards full range towers but possibly would consider monitors with the size of my room. Most of my listening is guitar based rock with some jazz and electronica thrown in. Thx

Phil A

Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2020, 10:27 pm »
Welcome to AC!  Don't forget the Trading Post here - https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=104.0  or hifishark.com

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2020, 03:15 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Scott   :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2020, 12:29 pm »
Welcome!

Suggest reading Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" 3rd edition as the consummate primer for audiophiles to learn how speakers/subwoofers behave in-room.  It would shy you away from full range speakers and into multiple subs to help control inherent in-room bass peaks/dips. 

Salk is known for extreme quality drivers and veneers, the opposite of Tekton, so how'd you pick those two vendors?

Recommend looking into active monitors, way better design, lower cost, less space needed, and greatly improved sonics (if you're after the truth in music versus just being entertained).  Active monitors is what the studio professionals use to record, mix, and master the music you listen to.

Scroof Neachy

• I like to smell stuff
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2020, 02:04 pm »
I think Salk carries an active speaker. Just might be the ticket.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2020, 02:21 pm »
Welcome  Scott :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 24 May 2020, 02:45 pm »
As Salk has only offered one active monitor, I can't recommend it to you.  Better vendors are Adam, Dynaudio, Genelec, or Neumann.  All offer multiple models over several years and can be found in the top studios.  Adam is known for ribbon tweeters (stick to their German built models).  Genelec and Neumann offer controlled directivity designs.  And Dynaudio sells passive and active designs.  These vendors have deep resources for R&D and in house production of drivers, etc. 

A consideration with actives now-a-days is the option of pure analog or digital design.  Digital opens the door to wireless signal connection (currently limited to 24/192 PCM and often requires a receiver).  Digital also implies the use of an internal DAC and the current state of such is quite pedestrian.  Note also that analog input doesn't necessarily mean that the monitor doesn't have an internal DAC and if so would also have a ADC (which are even worse sonic qualities than the DAC's).  Keep in mind that in such a scenario the last DAC in the signal path will all but negate the sound qualities from the first/upstream DAC (usually offering a far better sound quality).  The above listed companies all offer pure analog active monitors.