Theory to Practice

FITZ

Theory to Practice
« on: 23 Feb 2005, 03:01 am »
I love visiting this site.  I wish I could contribute something to it, but all I have is theory gleaned from all of you here javascript:emoticon(':o')
Surprisedand other sites. Like the man said: It's all about location, location, location."

This query probably spans other areas such as Square Circle for one, but please bear with me for now and contribute if you have a valid comment.

I'm getting towards a final formula for an office/study/den sound 2.1 system in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico (which MAY grow to 5.1 later) and would like some opinions.  Please don't suggest importing stuff from the US personally, as it's a nightmare from a 19th century Russian novel.

We are not talking high end equipment or sound per se, but I definitely want to get something which gives you a tasty morsel of what high end sound can be like (across-the spectrum accuracy, subjective though that may be as a description). If that still raises questions, let's settle for poorly-recorded tracks sounding crap on "better equipment."

Yamaha RX-495 70watt integrated stereo amp (a weak link, I know, but it's what I've got for NOW).

Ascend Acoustics CBM-170's for around US$120 above the going rate from Ascend direct in the US.

B&W ASW600 sub available for around US$120+ above typical prices elsewhere in the world.

An Intel 2.8 GHz P4 PC with Intel Mobo (got plans to use it as  a transport/processor once I've got decent cards installed)

There are various audiophile equipment brands for sale here, but this country just loves to tax whatever it can determine to be a luxury item several times over and that moves them out of my "Dad with loads of other priorities" price-range. I'm not interested in tubes, but the poissibility of finding a decent digital amp most definitely does appeal once I find a friend to bring one in for me.

OK, over to you guys.

Fitz

:o

Carlman

Theory to Practice
« Reply #1 on: 23 Feb 2005, 04:07 am »
Are you saying you have the system you listed or are you considering buying the items?

My comments assume you own the equipment listed.

The PC you have sounds good.  If you get a $25Chaintech soundcard, you can use its digital output to connect a digital amp.  The JVC, Panasonic, and Sharp are all good and will likely provide a nice taste of good hifi with this setup.

Right now the JVC seems to have the best sound quality but I don't think it's as user friendly as the Sharp or Panasonic.  I have a Panasonice XR-25 and I've heard the Sharp's.  I don't hear much difference in quality between them so, I'd recommend picking something that has the features or interface you like.

I'd also recommend buying used if possible.

Best of luck,
Carl

FITZ

Theory to Practice
« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2005, 04:16 am »
Thanks Carlman,

no, I don't have the B&W sub or Ascend speaks as yet, but I can get them here (right now).  I was wondering about how they work together. Believe me, I've done my best to combine price, brand rep. (buying untested), product reliability, supplier reliability and support, shipping reliability and a wagonload of other elements to reach this point. Buying long distance can be truly a nightmare here in Mex., and then again, sometimes just like in the states if you're lucky.

Consider your advice taken re: soundcard if I can get it here. As all audio beyond boomboxes is considered more than a luxury here, I am faced with a mass-market name-brand offering of the junk that can't or won't be sold in the G8 countries.

Fitz.