Is there any sonic benefits leaving Bryston Cube amps powered up 24/7 ?

terryakhan

Hello,
I have a number of Cube amps recently purchased and like to ask, do owners keep their's powered up 24/7 ?
If so what are the benefits you may have discovered ?
I ask this because I am first time Bryston owner and coming from Class D amps.
Thank You.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
My 14-squared needs about 30-60 mins. warmup, to sound really good. Not 24/7. It eats about 150W just idle. So my answer is no. But I am not familiar with the cubed amps' energy characteristics.

martydmnt

Hello,
I have a number of Cube amps recently purchased and like to ask, do owners keep their's powered up 24/7 ?
If so what are the benefits you may have discovered ?
I ask this because I am first time Bryston owner and coming from Class D amps.
Thank You.

I found no sonic reason to leave with my B135 SST2 or cubed on when I'm not listening, and I can't say I notice differences in quality between, say the first 5 minutes and 30 minutes in.

gberger

• Check 6
I learned, long ago, that turning solid-state electronics off-and-on tended to shorten life expectancy. So, I keep my  BCD-3, BP17c and 4Bc on continuously.
I worried about the electric costs, as I have an all-electric house; however, it averages out to about $3  to $5 per month.  Cheap insurance.

Depending on your $ per kilowatt hour, YMMV.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
  Once fully broken in. No. It builds up magnetism. After turn on in an hour when up to operating temp. ready for prime time.

charles

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
I have  let my Bryston audio equipment in 24/7/365 for 10 years straight. (with the moments off for power cord swaps, moving stuff around...)
When I acquired my Bryston 4B-SST² I noted that it took a few hours to sound better, and a full day to sound it's best.
Whether this applies to the cubed I do not know. One thing I read is the Cubed amplifiers at idle use about half the electricity the squared models did.

fado

Normally people like to power on upstream components before the amplifier; then turn off the amplifier before turning off upstream components. If you have a tubed preamp/DAC etc, you would not want to leave them on 24/7 How do you handle the amplifier last on - first off in this case?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Your electric bill will explode:

2bigears

:D power corps love this stuff on ,,,,,,  and helps to heat up Canada too.  Yes, leave it on man.  It snowed two weeks ago.    :D

toocool4

If the amps are solid state, i say just leave them on. Most electrical equipment are more stressed at switch on.
I leave everything switched on all the time, yes my bill is higher but the system is always ready to go. I use my system everyday anyway.

I moved last year, just had a look at my mains regenerator and it shows that the system has been on for 341 days 21 hours and 23 minutes.
So i say leave them on and enjoy.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
If you have a tubed preamp/DAC etc, you would not want to leave them on 24/7 How do you handle the amplifier last on - first off in this case?

Stockpile spare tubes like toilet paper.  :lol:

martydmnt

I found no sonic reason to leave with my B135 SST2 or cubed on when I'm not listening, and I can't say I notice differences in quality between, say the first 5 minutes and 30 minutes in.

I will clarify that I keep it in "Standby" when not in use and I do not unplug it from the wall.

Did you mean the hard on/off switch in the back or the Standby/On mode switch on the front when referring to powered up? I assume the later and not the former.

gbaby

My 14-squared needs about 30-60 mins. warmup, to sound really good. Not 24/7. It eats about 150W just idle. So my answer is no. But I am not familiar with the cubed amps' energy characteristics.

Agreed. I don't think modern transistors require one to leave them on all the time. A 30 to 60 minutes warmup should have them at their peak performance.  8) I have a Bryston square and a Pass Lab, and Nelson Pass only recommends 30 to 60 minutes warmup for his Class A amps. But, if you have stock in the local electric company, leave the amp on all the time. :lol:

techguy0192

I've found with the SST2 and Cubed amps, a 30 minute warmup is fine.  Leaving them up 24x7 is a waste of money.  Regarding turn on stress....it's a Bryston so it's built like a tank....no worries.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
One point not mentioned is how often and how many hrs/day you listen?
I listen to my stereo from 7AM entire day to 9 PM. every day..
Waste of time ti turn it off.
You may listen on Saturday for three hours a week. total waste of time to leave turned on 24.7