Who likes Supratek ?

FSMR4EARS

Who likes Supratek ?
« on: 16 May 2020, 04:51 am »
I am new to this forum. Shopping tube preamps. With a remote. With 6SN7 tube. Balance not required. Phono stage not required.

Budget to $3k Max. One owner & under 3 years old used okay.

I like what I read about both Supratek and Don Sachs best so far.

I have Tannoy FSMs circa 1988 Sensitivity 94 w/4ohm operation, Pass Lab XA25, Oppo 205, PS Audio phono stage, 2 dedicated 20 amp lines, treated room, medium size room.

Listen 60-75db max. Mainly vocal, electronic, classical music.

Love to hear from those with experience with these two products.

Thank you very much!

Wind Chaser

Re: Who likes Supratek ?
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2020, 02:55 pm »
Welcome to Audio Circle.  :D

I have a fair bit of experience with tubes and tube amps, but neither of those two products. I have since moved on to SS and I cannot see the day when I go back to tube anything.

misterclean

« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2020, 03:31 pm »

I've had them both and either would be a great choice. Several years back, I ran the Supratek with several different solid state amps and got consistently good sound, but cannot speak to how either it or the Don Sachs preamp would pair with your Pass amp. You might want to check if Mick (Supratek) has tech support in the US in case it ever needs repair. Shipping to and from Australia is no treat.

If you go with the Don Sachs, I'd recommend giving some consideration to getting his Kootenay KT88 amp as well if that is a possibility for you. They're an incredible match and a great bargain, as these things are calculated in the crazy world of high end audio. I absolutely love mine. Powerful, holographic, and so, so musical. It's a beast, but also exquisite, if that makes sense.

Good luck. These are two great preamps you're looking at.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2020, 05:03 pm »
Welcome!

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2020, 05:10 pm »
Hello, and welcome to AC.

I'm afraid misterclean and I share the same preamp and amp (both are made by Don Sachs), so consider me another Don Sachs 'cheerleader'.  :bounce: I've had my Model 2 for just under 4 years, and have never considered replacing it.

Here's a link to 4 1/2 years of user comments about the D Sachs Model 2 preamp with reviews and commentary about the Kootenay 120 amp tossed in for good measure.  https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=138092.msg1470155#msg1470155

I have never heard a Supratek, but I have heard very good comments about them. If we were not in the midst of a pandemic, I would have been able to compare my Model 2 to a not very distant fellow's Supratek. However, neither of us wishes to expose the other to potential illness, so it will just have to wait.

Take the plunge and order one, or search for a used unit. Hifishark is a great resource for searching for used gear.  https://www.hifishark.com/

Alternatively, announce your location in the world [I see you are in Scottsdale, AZ.] to see if anyone near you owns either preamp. Perhaps, a visit could be arranged? I would have loved to attend that speaker demonstration last year. I'm certain it must have been very special. Is there no one in your area with either preamp?

Enjoy your audio journey.

Michael

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2020, 07:18 pm »
Welcome  :thumb:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2020, 09:54 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC FSMR4EARS   :thumb:

2bigears

« Reply #7 on: 16 May 2020, 09:57 pm »
 :D I had a SS amp and tube pre.  It was the best I could even imagine.   :D