The passing of Hunter S. Thompson

AKSA

« on: 22 Feb 2005, 06:42 am »
Folks,

Completely off topic, and pardon my indulgence, but I've always been a devotee of this fearless, literate, drug-crazed maniac, who died by his own hand, 67 and infirm, yesterday.

I loved his writing;  the raw, emotional communication with the manic democratic clarion call - he was an icon of my youth, and now he's gone.  His novels 'Hells Angels' and 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas' are seminal texts, somehow rolling Kerouac, Kafka, Burroughs and Joyce all into one - an intensely American literature I greatly admired.

He owned two 400 CID convertibles which he drove at night without lights at 100 mph around the mountain passes of Colorado near Aspen.  His motorcycle exploits were insane;  his drug excesses utter madness;  his womanizing a riot;  his armoury of firearms a legend;  his political views the conscience of a generation.    :guns:

He will be missed...... :notworthy:

Cheers,

Hugh

Tabascosauce

« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2005, 07:11 am »
Perhaps all the world's aksa's could play "White Rabbit" as a tribute.

DeadFish

« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2005, 03:36 pm »
I'll raise a tumbler of Wild Turkey to that!

He beat a lot of odds and gave a voice for a generation of social heretics.

A mutant of the first order, and if I could find my adrenachrome, I'd pass it around at work today.

Salute, Hunter!

We won't see your like again this side of Hell.

DF

soitstarts

« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2005, 07:56 am »
This was on the the ABC News website..

US author Hunter S Thompson, who committed suicide last weekend, wanted to exit this world in a style befitting his extraordinary life by being fired from a cannon, a friend says.

It is believed the larger-than-life writer of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas stated in his will that he wanted his ashes to be fired out of a cannon following his funeral, plans for which have yet to be announced.

"I believe he wanted to be shot out of a cannon," friend Troy Hooper told AFP.

"I understand it's in his Will," Mr Hooper said, associate editor of the Aspen Daily News, based near the Colorado home where 67-year-old Thompson apparently shot himself on Sunday.

"That's Hunter's style - that's how he would want it," he said.

"He was a big fan of bonfires and explosions and anything that went bang and I'm sure he'd like to go bang as well."

Mr Hooper, who became friends with father of "gonzo" journalism about five years before his death, cited reports that Thompson told his son, Juan, that his after-life ambition was to become cannon fodder - literally.

"That's exactly the kind of stuff he would say all the time," he said of one of the most important American literary figures of the 20th Century.

It was Juan Thompson who found his father's body in his rural home in Woody Creek, near the ski resort of Aspen, after he apparently shot himself in the head on Sunday night.

Mr Hooper, who saw Thompson last week, says Thompson had been in pain following recent back surgery, following a hip replacement and after he broke his leg recently.

Thompson, famed for his LSD and alcohol-fuelled literary exploits, did not seem "more distraught than usual" in the days before he died,

Mr Hooper says that Thompson was "often either up or down".

Sheriff's department investigators in Woody Creek, where Thompson lived for more than 40 years, say he appeared to have died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Hmm, I think I may have to read one of his books.

ss397

« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2005, 01:26 pm »
hunter was a larger than life figure. i bumped into him once at the barbeque place in woody creek, near aspen. my friends and i went up to him and expressed our deep respect for his work, even after bieng admonished by the bartender "it's not a good idea to talk to hunter when he's talking to a woman". fortunately no violence insued.

mgalusha

« Reply #5 on: 24 Feb 2005, 05:08 am »
I've always admired his to hell with what anyone thinks way of writing. A few beautiful examples of which can be found here:

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Hunter_S._Thompson

I'll certainly toss back a shot in salute.  :beer: