Greetings from Pennsylvania. . .

Direwolf336

Greetings from Pennsylvania. . .
« on: 11 May 2020, 11:45 pm »
Greetings from Pennsylvania.  My name is Jim and I'm a life long audiophile.  At this point in my journey, my sources are strictly digital.  I have about 800 CDs on my hard drive; about two years ago I started using Tidal and last year I added Roon. 

My system is very simple; it consists of a pair of Harbeth SLH5+ driven by a Leben CS600X.  The source is a Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ fed from a Apple Mac Mini.  I run Roon server on the Mini, the Brooklyn is an endpoint and I run the control code on an IPad.  Overall, I am very happy with the sound and the experience.

I'd like to learn more about streaming, single driver speakers and tube options for my Leben.  I'm looking forward to connecting with some new folks and getting some new ideas.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Greetings from Pennsylvania. . .
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2020, 11:52 pm »
Welcome  :thumb:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2020, 12:16 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Jim   :thumb:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2020, 02:47 am »
Hey Jim,

Welcome to Audio Circle.  :D

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2020, 03:07 pm »
Welcome!

The basis of my system is simpler than yours:  NAD M10 "streaming amplifier" and commissioned transmission line floor standing single driver speakers in a well insulated 8ft x 13ft x 21ft room with a midfield setup.  Saved most of my library as Tidal favorites and the rest to a flash drive that plugs into the M10.  But the devil in the details.  Also have 3 carefully placed subs, 10 GIK absorption panels (find them here at Audio Circle), 3 tall bookcases serving as casual diffusers, and "Late Ceiling Splash" tweeters (see Audio Kinesis in the sponsor child circles here at Audio Circle). 

Single driver speakers provide coherence and imaging like nothing else, but they have their limits.  There is no such thing as a full range single driver speaker.  Typical high efficiency single drivers have colorations, many have limited output.  Even my speakers that use discontinued but well respected Fostex F200a drivers competently cover only about 6 octaves (rated to cover 9+ octaves) thus the subs and tweeters.  The subs/panels also address inevitable in-room bass peaks/dips (suggest reading Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction"). 

A highly viable option to single driver speakers are active monitors.  (Single driver designs by definition are active.)  By active I mean use of a low voltage crossover that fees one channel of amplification per driver.  Actives come in many forms, but the crossovers being low voltage can be much more sophisticated than found in passive speakers.  Actives can be pure analog, pure digital (often wireless), or combinations thereof.  Actives are undeniably superior in terms of design, cost, and sonics.  Lets the amps "see" the driver load to better react.  Saves the cost of amp cabinets and speaker cables.  And provides greatly improved dynamics, flatter frequency response, improved imaging, and gobsmackingly deep/full bass for the given driver/cabinet size.  Actives are used by 99% of studios that record, mix, and master the music you listen to.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2020, 03:37 pm »
Welcome!

twitch54

« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2020, 04:37 pm »
Welcome Jim, simple is good ! What part of Pennsyltucky do you reside ? I'm in the SE Corner

Direwolf336

« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2020, 06:16 pm »
I'm in the NE corner in Center Valley, not too far from Bethlehem or Allentown. . .

Rich Carlson

« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2020, 02:59 pm »
Welcome from central PA (Happy Valley)!

BobRex

« Reply #9 on: 13 May 2020, 04:06 pm »
Welcome from Schnecksville!

Emil

« Reply #10 on: 13 May 2020, 06:28 pm »
Welcome from central PA (Happy Valley)!