New to the site

alwynlarryv

New to the site
« on: 11 May 2020, 11:12 pm »
Hello, I'm Alwynlarryv.  I have been an audiophile for 60 years.  How is that possible?  I was 13 when I caught the disease, and I'm now 73.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: New to the site
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2020, 11:23 pm »
Welcome Mr.Alwyn  :thumb:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2020, 11:24 pm »
Welcome to Audio Circle.  :D

This disease don’t need no cure.  :green:

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2020, 11:38 pm »
Welcome!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2020, 12:17 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Larry   :thumb:

alwynlarryv

New To The Site, But Gosh Darn It, Third Post
« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2020, 12:20 am »
I have had two transformative moments in Hi Fi.  The first occurred when I was a freshman in college.  I walked into a" big time" hi fi store in Pasadena CA, and heard a pair of KHL 9s.  Wow!  I understand that electrostatics have a few issues, but based on the arrangement of my taste buds nothing else sounds quite as good.  I would have a pair of Sound Lab 1As if it were not for "wifely" blocking action.  And my second moment?  For almost 20 years I was an investment "croupier" (a stock broker).  I had a super client who owned a high end store in San Mateo Ca.  I made him lots of money, and of course he expressed his gratitude by paying commissions, but from time to time he would give me small gifts.  So one day he gave a  record; it was "The Missing Link," by Lincoln Myorca, on  Sheffield Labs label. The moment a dropped the styles in the groove I understood that most of the recordings I prized were in fact crap and that a big part of the Hi Fi experience was going to be finding quality recordings. 

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: New To The Site, But Gosh Darn It, Third Post
« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2020, 12:25 am »
Hi, Starting Block is really for people to introduce themselves.
I will merge this topic with your previous first thread.
Please introduce yourself to the community by starting a thread here. If you are new to the site, threads posted here will be approved more quickly than anywhere else. Please DO NOT start more than one thread.

alwynlarryv

Continuing My Introduction
« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2020, 04:17 pm »
My I take you on a tour of my system?  I am blessed to have a dedicated listening room, but it's in the basement with a concrete which necessitated room treatments.  My room treatment efforts are a work in progress.  I have JBL L212 speakers.  L212s are 3 speakers, a left, a right, and a sub all integrated together.  The first time I heard them I was dazzled and I still am.  My amp is a solid state by Conrad Johnson; I think it is about 120 RMS per channel.  My preamp is a CJ pv6, which has problems and is on "death row" (to be replaced soon).  I have a rather modest Project turntable with a Ortofon FL25 cartridge.  The cartridge is close to going on death row, to be retipped or replaced.  On the digital size I have a Cambridge transport, with a Music Fidelity DAC.  Part of being an audiophile is never leaving things alone.  My system sounds great, but I am considering ripping the crossovers out and sending them to Danny at GR research for an upgrade ( same values, but better stuff).  Well dudes and dudetts, there it is the good the bad and the ugly.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
Re: Continuing My Introduction
« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2020, 04:55 pm »
My I take you on a tour of my system?  I am blessed to have a dedicated listening room, but it's in the basement with a concrete which necessitated room treatments.  My room treatment efforts are a work in progress.  I have JBL L212 speakers.  L212s are 3 speakers, a left, a right, and a sub all integrated together.  The first time I heard them I was dazzled and I still am.  My amp is a solid state by Conrad Johnson; I think it is about 120 RMS per channel.  My preamp is a CJ pv6, which has problems and is on "death row" (to be replaced soon).  I have a rather modest Project turntable with a Ortofon FL25 cartridge.  The cartridge is close to going on death row, to be retipped or replaced.  On the digital size I have a Cambridge transport, with a Music Fidelity DAC.  Part of being an audiophile is never leaving things alone.  My system sounds great, but I am considering ripping the crossovers out and sending them to Danny at GR research for an upgrade ( same values, but better stuff).  Well dudes and dudetts, there it is the good the bad and the ugly.
Mr.Alwyn this is the third topic that you create, please dont create more than one topic in this Circle, there is a big chart on top of the page informing it. I will merge again this topic, thanks.

Please introduce yourself to the community by starting a thread here. If you are new to the site, threads posted here will be approved more quickly than anywhere else. Please DO NOT start more than one thread.