Combined Wedge Feasible?

nick-d

Combined Wedge Feasible?
« on: 11 May 2020, 10:43 pm »
Hi there,

I've built the baffle and have the drivers for an MTM speaker with M165/16s based on the X-CS loudspeaker. After reading through the various threads on the popular X-Static and LGK Wedgie I've been mocking up wings and sealed woofer cabinets.

I'm wondering what the downsides would be to building a loudspeaker similar to the Wedgie, but where two cabinets were combined into one as sketched in the attached image. I've mocked something up using the M165/16s that I have and was able to get reasonable output in the low mids.

So, are there any major drawbacks to the proposed scheme? The M165/16 MTM would be used for the mid range and above while woofers would be added to the wings to cover the the low end. Obviously the crossover would have to be carefully designed.

- I Imagine using two M165Xs on each wing would be easier to cross to the mid range, but would require a shelving filter to provide usable output in the 100hz region. I don't necessary need DC out of these and could always build a pair of H-frames down the road.

OR

- Alternatively a 12in servo sub could be added to each wing in lieu of the M165Xs. This would require the front mounted mid range drivers to play a bit lower.

Thanks! I realize that I could build one of the kits and be very happy, however I'm enjoying the experimental process.

Danny Richie

• Facilitator
    • http://www.gr-research.com
Re: Combined Wedge Feasible?
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2020, 02:05 pm »
You can't box in both sides of the drivers that are playing up to the tweeter. The shorter wavelengths that are produced by those drivers will set up a cavity resonance within that space. That is why the wedge shaped designs you see have only a L shaped baffle around the mids.