bcd 1 cd player

noble

bcd 1 cd player
« on: 8 May 2020, 12:00 pm »
 Hi everyone

can any one assist me. i have a bryston cd player bcd1 . For some reason which ever CD i insert into the machine it says no disk or error. The CD disks are normal standard disks  and i never  had trouble before.

I tried taking the lead out of the machine and putting it back but to no avail. is there something on the laser inside the machine that's causing the trouble.  The problem at the moment is that i am self isolating  in London UK  and i dont think that i can get it repaired via pmc. It may be a small thing that i may be able to do on my end. But i will need guidance.

I welcome and am thankful for any response

Wind Chaser

Re: bcd 1 cd player
« Reply #1 on: 8 May 2020, 03:01 pm »
Welcome to Audio Circle.  :D

Sorry but I can't help you. However we have a dedicated area for all things Bryston...

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=57

Try posting you inquiry there and it won't be too long before you'll get an answer.  :D

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 8 May 2020, 03:22 pm »
Welcome to AC!  Owned a BCD-1 many moons ago (when it first came out).  Does it do it will all discs (or for example a burned CD vs. a store bought one) or a select several?  How many tracks on that disc (as from memory there is a track limit)?  If it is a dirty CD laser lens, there are YouTube videos or I'm sure if you sent James Tanner a PM (but I think you need 3 posts before you can PM someone) he could point you in the right direction to narrow down the problem.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 8 May 2020, 05:01 pm »
Welcome  :thumb:
I will move this topic to Bryston Circle.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 8 May 2020, 05:16 pm »
Hi everyone

can any one assist me. i have a bryston cd player bcd1 . For some reason which ever CD i insert into the machine it says no disk or error. The CD disks are normal standard disks  and i never  had trouble before.

I tried taking the lead out of the machine and putting it back but to no avail. is there something on the laser inside the machine that's causing the trouble.  The problem at the moment is that i am self isolating  in London UK  and i dont think that i can get it repaired via pmc. It may be a small thing that i may be able to do on my end. But i will need guidance.

I welcome and am thankful for any response

Hi

Please email Mike - mpickett@bryston.com

james

noble

« Reply #5 on: 8 May 2020, 06:30 pm »

Hi

many thanks for getting back to me. it does it with all discs. I have never had a problem before with it. Either it says error or no disc.
 if the lens is dirty how could i clean it since the machine rejects all discs

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #6 on: 8 May 2020, 06:50 pm »
Hi

many thanks for getting back to me. it does it with all discs. I have never had a problem before with it. Either it says error or no disc.
 if the lens is dirty how could i clean it since the machine rejects all discs

Remove disc.
Unplug it, wait 10 secs., then replug power cord. Try disc again.   :scratch:

noble

« Reply #7 on: 8 May 2020, 07:53 pm »
 hi

I took the lead out from the back. Waited 20 seconds put an ordinary cd . it just said no disc

R. Daneel

« Reply #8 on: 9 May 2020, 09:43 am »
Likely the laser diode has weakened. Did this happen all of a sudden or did it start skipping before that?

The thing is, Philips no longer makes this particular pickup. Your best bet is to contact Mike from Bryston and listen to what he says. It might be fixable but then again it might not.

Good luck!

noble

« Reply #9 on: 9 May 2020, 10:26 am »

Hi

Many thanks for everyone who tried to help me. I must say the reason why i like Bryston products ( even though there maybe better products at double the price) is the assistance you give when something goes wrong.
 I watched the video on you tube as to how to clean the lens and the turning of the current on youtube . I would not go that way because the product is too good to tamper with even in to days crisis. 

I found out what was wrong but am baffled as to why the BCD1 would not read a disc. I would have expected it to play the CD without the sound.

The fault lie in my connection of the interconnects into the Bryston BP26. One of the interconnects was correctly inserted from the single ended red connection to the red connection in the pre amp. The other interconnect was accidentally inserted into the black single outlet in the Bcd1 to the digital output of the BCd1 spdp of the Bcd1. I don't know how i managed it but that is what caused it.

Does anyone know as to why this would cause the Bcd1 to reject all discs by it saying no disc or error.   

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 9 May 2020, 12:09 pm »
Hi

Many thanks for everyone who tried to help me. I must say the reason why i like Bryston products ( even though there maybe better products at double the price) is the assistance you give when something goes wrong.
 I watched the video on you tube as to how to clean the lens and the turning of the current on youtube . I would not go that way because the product is too good to tamper with even in to days crisis. 

I found out what was wrong but am baffled as to why the BCD1 would not read a disc. I would have expected it to play the CD without the sound.

The fault lie in my connection of the interconnects into the Bryston BP26. One of the interconnects was correctly inserted from the single ended red connection to the red connection in the pre amp. The other interconnect was accidentally inserted into the black single outlet in the Bcd1 to the digital output of the BCd1 spdp of the Bcd1. I don't know how i managed it but that is what caused it.

Does anyone know as to why this would cause the Bcd1 to reject all discs by it saying no disc or error.   

https://www.petervis.com/CD_and_DVD_Players/no-disc-in-cd-player-error/no-disc-in-cd-player-error.html

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #11 on: 9 May 2020, 05:05 pm »
laser diode has weakened
Never heard of a weakened laser even Philips, in these cases I had seen it was focus or tracking misalignment or even wet lens.

R. Daneel

« Reply #12 on: 11 May 2020, 02:53 pm »
laser diode has weakened
Never heard of a weakened laser even Philips, in these cases I had seen it was focus or tracking misalignment or even wet lens.

Like every electro-optical device, laser diode has a life-span. When the useful life is reaching it's end, due to temperature fatigue and changes in chemistry or something else, the laser power output drops to a point where it can no longer read the disc, typically below 5 mW if I remember correctly. You can increase the voltage fed to the diode to temporarily resolve the issue but it doesn't last long because the diode is now operating outside of specified parameters so the decay accelerates. We wouldn't be changing laser diodes in CNC machines if they lasted forever, would we now?

Anyway, that doesn't seem to be the problem here so any ideas?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 11 May 2020, 08:33 pm »
Like every electro-optical device, laser diode has a life-span. When the useful life is reaching it's end, due to temperature fatigue and changes in chemistry or something else, the laser power output drops to a point where it can no longer read the disc, typically below 5 mW if I remember correctly. You can increase the voltage fed to the diode to temporarily resolve the issue but it doesn't last long because the diode is now operating outside of specified parameters so the decay accelerates. We wouldn't be changing laser diodes in CNC machines if they lasted forever, would we now?

Anyway, that doesn't seem to be the problem here so any ideas?
I have friends with Sony and Denon players with the KSS151A from the early 90s yet running fine. Do you believe these weak Diodes defects are from what year onwards?

spinner

« Reply #14 on: 14 May 2020, 02:19 am »

Anyway, that doesn't seem to be the problem here so any ideas?.... So can this laser diode be replaced in  say, the Stream Unlimited  tray loader  in the  BCD3 ?... :scratch:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #15 on: 14 May 2020, 09:39 am »

Hi

No sorry the trays and mechanics are totally different.  Contact Mike Pickett as I believe there is a trade in program available if it can not be fixed.

james

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #16 on: 14 May 2020, 11:13 am »
 I think what Spinner meant was ( is ) it possible to replace the dead laser should it burn out. I think it was a question in general . My old Sony  had many miles on it  and I was afraid  the laser would soon fail . I was told later that it could be possible t replace the laser ....never found out for sure because I got my Bryston player... :scratch: :thumb:

noble

« Reply #17 on: 14 May 2020, 02:19 pm »

Many thanks for all your thoughts. I email Mike Pickett and he could not understand as to why a wrong misplacement at the back of the CD would cause the laser to not read any CD's.

If the player is on its way out ( which i hope its not) can anyone tell the difference between the BCd1 to bcd3 sonically.
       I would have like the BCd3 to have Sacd but is this really important nowadays with the advent of streaming

R. Daneel

« Reply #18 on: 14 May 2020, 03:36 pm »
I have friends with Sony and Denon players with the KSS151A from the early 90s yet running fine. Do you believe these weak Diodes defects are from what year onwards?

I have had a Denon DCD-1420 from 1989 with the KSS-151 mech. It worked fine when I sold it in 2017 and it was overused when I bought it for 57 € a few years prior to that. At the time I also had a high-spec Cyrus CD transport I was able to get on loan from a local distributor. The Denon was simply incomparably more reliable and consistent compared to the Cyrus. Cyrus is a half-finished product as far as I'm concerned, simply unacceptably flawed. A slot-loader I might add!

It is difficult to say when. I don't think it necessarily has to do with the diode but the rest of the components. Like with everything else, there is only a handful of manufacturers that make a specific part so everybody else has to rely on them, no matter how expensive the final product is. The difference is, some companies take the time to test the critical components before they reach production stage as well as 'model' the disc mech to simulate it's functionality as time goes by. Other manufacturers don't care and buy parts in batches. So you can have a KSS-123 (I think that's what it's called) equipped player that will last a lifetime and some other player that will be faulty precisely one day after the warranty has expired.

Personally, I would not buy a nion-Japanese disc player. Currently I own a Denon DCD-2500NE and hope to own it for many years.

Cheers!

R. Daneel

« Reply #19 on: 14 May 2020, 03:43 pm »
I would have like the BCd3 to have Sacd but is this really important nowadays with the advent of streaming

If you look at it that way, you don't need ANY CD player, not just an SACD player.