Introduction

mrpetemd

Introduction
« on: 6 May 2020, 01:18 am »
I hope that you and yours are safe and well as we undergo another of life's stress tests of humanity. It has been many years since I actually possessed a "full size" audio system, primarily due to financial challenges which have abated a bit. Now I can at least begin to assemble a system again. The priorities are maximum sound quality, reliability and flexibility for a reasonable investment. Components can be new, used, modified or full DIY that provide substantial value (sound quality vs cost) for the long term. Sources will be primarily digital (CD, streaming, PC-based) with minimal electronics (SS or tube). Speakers can be floor-standing, stand-mounts (with or without a sub) and relatively sensitive (90db+) powered or passive. Primary room is 19' long, 12' wide, 9' high with plaster/lath & drywall walls. While I have minimal tools for full DIY (I built a Dynaco SCA80Q years ago), a close friend is a skilled woodworker.

That's about it.

mrpetemd

Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: 6 May 2020, 01:21 am »
I forgot!! my budget is maxxed at ~$2,000.00

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 6 May 2020, 03:52 am »
Welcome  :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 6 May 2020, 04:33 am »
Welcome!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 6 May 2020, 04:34 am »
You have quite a few options, I wouldn’t even know where to begin. How big is your room? How far can you pull your speakers out into the room? How loud do you like to listen? How much bass do you need?

Oh, and welcome to Audio Circle.  :D

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 6 May 2020, 12:34 pm »
Welcome!

For a $2000 USD budget my choice would be something like this: 

Sabaj D5 DAC/preamp ($470) - scores exceptionally well in testing; uses the latest ESS9038Pro chip; has single ended headphone, balanced headphone, RCA, and XLR outputs; comes with a remote. 

Adam A7X active 2-way monitor with ribbon tweeter ($749 each) - the company is a well respected German company with 20 years of in house R&D and manufacturing, their monitors are used in many high-end studios.  Actives are undeniably superior to passives in terms of design, cost, and sonics.

Monoprice 10ft StarQuad XLR cable ($10 each) - XLR cables are a more of a commodity than single ended; star quad is less prone to RF/EMI interference (and XLR are much less prone to interference than single ended); surprisingly at this price these are professional grade.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 6 May 2020, 01:40 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC mrpetemd   :thumb: