What should I chose for my JVC L-A21? DT-Z1 EB vs OM 5E vs VM95E

serniko97

Hi guys, I’m new here and I need your help.

I wanna start with this beautiful hobby; to do that I did some research but I’m still not sure.

Basically I have a JVC L-A21 with a Victor DT-Z-1 S cartridge missing the stylus.

It seems like a good cartridge with the option of a SAS stylus but my budget is up to 50€, no SAS for me. :bawl:

I came up with these options but if you have a better one you are welcome:
  • Ortofon OM 5E
  • Victor DT-Z-1 EB stylus for the cartridge I already have.
  • Audio Technica VM95E

I read the DT-Z-1 EB is slightly better then a AT95E, is it true? What about the VM95E which has been improved?

Does the compliance of this cartridges (OM and AT) match my tonearm’s weight?

In case of improvement in the near future, how will something like the OM 20 sound compared to Jico’s SAS or MP-110? Just to know if it makes sense to "invest"

in a Ortofon cartridge.

Thank you very much.
Here are some pictures for you :thumb:

« Last Edit: 6 May 2020, 10:28 am by serniko97 »

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
I'd get a stylus for your Victor.  Some knowledgeable guys that used to hang around here thought highly of them.  Or sell it to me  :D

serniko97

Thank you for the reply, I will probably buy the Z1 EB at this point, it's even the cheaper option.

I found one for 33€ but it's manufactured by Tonar, will it be the same quality as the original Victor?
I also found another for 19€ but it says it's Spherical. I should email them to know if it's a mistake or something but probably not, too good to be true.

Sorry for the upside down pictures :duh:. I can't find a way to edit the post.

SET Man

Hey!

That turntable probably from the late 70's to early '80s, the condition still looks great I must say. Likely have a lower mass tonearm so the Ortofon and AT MM carts you've mentioned should work fine.

But since your on a tight budget I agreed that getting a replacement stylus for the Victor (JVC) cart that's already there is the most logical step. Get one with elliptical, it is technically better than spherical one and should track better too.

Assuming the alignment of that Victor cart on the tonearm right now was set correctly... of which is likely is,  all you have to do is just pop in the new stylus, set the right tracking force and you're ready to spin some vinyls.

Well, good luck and keep us posted.

Buddy

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Buddy is correct, get the elliptical.  Less record wear, and better sound.  The only real use for conical styli at this time is for older 50's and 60's mono vinyl.  In that application they can shine, but not in pressing after the late 60's.

serniko97

Yes, I will definitely get an elliptical DT-Z1 EB. :wink:

Are Tonar stylus replacement any good?

Thank you, it‘s from my father and it really is in good shape, I don’t think he used it very often since I never saw a vinyl in our house.
The auto-return works perfectly. I only had to change oil to the spindle, buy a new belt and it have a noticeable scratch on the front.
« Last Edit: 7 May 2020, 03:24 pm by serniko97 »

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum