Watching the Classics for the first time

WGH

Watching the Classics for the first time
« on: 2 May 2020, 07:34 pm »
With new movie choices dwindling and Netflix filling up bandwidth with "B" grade video it is time to explore the classics.

I never had cable TV so missed 'The Wire' which started in 2002 and ran for 5 seasons. I just finished season 1 and now I'm 3 episodes into season 2. The series holds up extremely well, the story line is timeless, the characters develop, grow and have amazing depth. The characters are also lying, cheating, and despicable sob's; heroic, caring and funny.  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Heist films are always a favorite at the WGH Home Theater. I discovered a great resource for heist movies that, amazingly, I haven't seen.

The best heist movies you've never seen

https://www.looper.com/144414/the-best-heist-movies-youve-never-seen/
So far I have watched Heist, The Lookout, The Silent Partner, Widows, and Sexy Beast. I can recommend them all.

Dredd (2012) is an excellent choice for "dumb action movie night". Very entertaining, not that dumb and an excellent "B" movie comic book adaptation.
"In this exceptionally violent but winking action extravaganza, Karl Urban plays the most fearsome of the judge-jury-executioners that stalk around the futuristic, radiation-soaked wasteland that is Mega City"

charmerci

Re: Watching the Classics for the first time
« Reply #1 on: 2 May 2020, 07:43 pm »
Hey Wayne!
If you want to watch something really different - check out The Singing Detective - the BBC 6 part series. (I don't have cable so I'm not sure if it's available.) It might not be your cup but if you can get into it - I think it's amazing.
Cheers!

Charlie

Randy

« Reply #2 on: 2 May 2020, 10:31 pm »
Hey Wayne!
If you want to watch something really different - check out The Singing Detective - the BBC 6 part series. (I don't have cable so I'm not sure if it's available.) It might not be your cup but if you can get into it - I think it's amazing.
Cheers!

Charlie

Is that the one that starred the guy who was later in "Who Killed Roger Rabbit?"  Do they stop the action from time to time and the actors lip sync. old songs from the 1930s and 40s?  I watched it back in the 80s, but maybe this is a new version or something completely different.

This is what I was thinking of. Another one to see if it's available somewhere. 
For some oddball reason this link won't go there. If it doesn't you can navigate to it or go from the Dennis Potter wiki page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennies_from_Heaven_(TV_series)

charmerci

« Reply #3 on: 2 May 2020, 10:38 pm »
Is that the one that starred the guy who was later in "Who Killed Roger Rabbit?"  Do they stop the action from time to time and the actors lip sync. old songs from the 1930s and 40s?  I watched it back in the 80s, but maybe this is a new version or something completely different.
Bob Hoskins plays his father when Michael Gambon was a child, yes.
Dennis Potter wrote this also did a version of Pennies From Heaven that is supposed to be great - but I've never seen it.

Randy

« Reply #4 on: 2 May 2020, 10:46 pm »
Bob Hoskins plays his father when Michael Gambon was a child, yes.
Dennis Potter wrote this also did a version of Pennies From Heaven that is supposed to be great - but I've never seen it.

See above.   The wiki article doesn't say that it was broadcast on American TV at the time, perhaps about 1978 or 79. I know it was, because I watched it.  Must have been PBS.  As my mom would say, it's very sordid, and was controversial at the time.  I never saw the Steve Martin version.

charmerci

« Reply #5 on: 2 May 2020, 11:13 pm »
See above.   The wiki article doesn't say that it was broadcast on American TV at the time, perhaps about 1978 or 79. I know it was, because I watched it.  Must have been PBS.  As my mom would say, it's very sordid, and was controversial at the time.  I never saw the Steve Martin version.
I wouldn't know. My Mom and I saw Singing Detective on PBS in the late 80's and loved it.
as for Pennies. Here's some reviews on amazon as I've never seen it.

WGH

« Reply #6 on: 2 May 2020, 11:59 pm »
I remember hearing reviews of the singing Detective, the reviewer loved it because the series was so different.

"meshes the finest bits of Glee and Smash with the edgy darkness of Dexter and Breaking Bad."

"that a word or two had to be bleeped — just the sort of thing that kept The Singing Detective off PBS in the first place.

"The Singing Detective has never been televised nationally in the United States."
https://www.npr.org/2012/02/24/147037460/25-years-later-the-singing-detective-still-shines

Regional TV stations or cable must have carried it if your Mom watched it.

It sounds absolutely horrible to me

charmerci

« Reply #7 on: 3 May 2020, 02:28 pm »
I remember hearing reviews of the singing Detective, the reviewer loved it because the series was so different.

"meshes the finest bits of Glee and Smash with the edgy darkness of Dexter and Breaking Bad."

"that a word or two had to be bleeped — just the sort of thing that kept The Singing Detective off PBS in the first place.

"The Singing Detective has never been televised nationally in the United States."
https://www.npr.org/2012/02/24/147037460/25-years-later-the-singing-detective-still-shines

Regional TV stations or cable must have carried it if your Mom watched it.

It sounds absolutely horrible to me

It was shown in Washington DC area. To compare it with Glee and Dexter is absurd and stupid.

Just give it a try. No one's going to force you to watch the whole thing. But then again, if you're predisposed to hating it, you won't like it.  :duh: