Vintage recap and resotoration capacitor question

pickens

Vintage recap and resotoration capacitor question
« on: 1 May 2020, 02:56 pm »
Thinking about recapping my old Wharfdale W70Ds and Luxman 5L15 amp during this down time.  I've not undertaken a project like that before, but am trying to figure out how to match capacitors, etc.  Are values typically marked on parts or do I need to track down schematics?  And can you just replace capacitors at 1:1 values or are there things to think about in terms of capacitor selection?  Thanks!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Vintage recap and resotoration capacitor question
« Reply #1 on: 1 May 2020, 06:28 pm »
Thinking about recapping my old Wharfdale W70Ds and Luxman 5L15 amp during this down time.  I've not undertaken a project like that before, but am trying to figure out how to match capacitors, etc.  Are values typically marked on parts or do I need to track down schematics?  And can you just replace capacitors at 1:1 values or are there things to think about in terms of capacitor selection?  Thanks!
Resistors are color coded, capacitors values are printed on parts unless they have been scraped, for current options and flavors you could contact our member Jeff from Sonic Craft Circle.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=201

galyons

« Reply #2 on: 1 May 2020, 07:14 pm »
Most caps have thier capacitance and voltage marked on the case.  Recapping vintage equipment is both a science and an art.  Pieces that have the components installed in the case, and out of sight, are easier since one does not have to worry about the vintage esthetics.    Modern electrolytic caps are much better built than days of old.  The are more reliable, compact and last longer.   You can usually fit a higher voltage electrolytic caps in the same space as the old caps. In most instances, this will lake the caps even more reliable. 

There is a much broader spectrum, in both cost and quality, for film caps, but size will likely present some challenges.  This where the art comes in.  Various types of caps impart a different voicing....mylar, polyester,  metallized polyester, polytetrafluoroethylene, copper film & foil, aluminum film and foil, various iterations of  metallized polyester film with oil and paerper-in-oil, waxed paper with film....all lend a characteristic sound to the signals passing through.

For speakers, you may often improve the sonic reproduction by replacing old electrolytic caps with film and/or PIO, (which were too large and cost prohibitive when the speakers were manufactured.)  But, be careful about what you do to the voicing.  Again, purely a matter of taste, but I have heard way too many vintage speakers take decided turns for the worse. An example vintage Klipsch with the PIO caps replaced with metalized polyester caps.

I have restored and/or recapped  many products, mostly tube based, including Dyna, Scott, Fisher, Heath, McIntosh, Golden Tube Audio and many others.  The sound is consistently improved with the better caps.  For me personally, in vinge equipment is not letting it get the modern "hifi-ish plasticy" sound.

Cheers,
Geary

pickens

« Reply #3 on: 1 May 2020, 08:47 pm »
Thanks for the replies.  On an amp, for example, are there key places to start with to learn how the voicing changes with new caps--say with the output side for example--and do it piecemeal or is it best to jump in and see what happens.  I'm thinking of a modest recap with the goal of restoring rather than trying to really change the sound output--there's no reason to have four times more more money in capacitors than the amp is worth!

galyons

« Reply #4 on: 2 May 2020, 04:28 am »
Thanks for the replies.  On an amp, for example, are there key places to start with to learn how the voicing changes with new caps--say with the output side for example--and do it piecemeal or is it best to jump in and see what happens.  I'm thinking of a modest recap with the goal of restoring rather than trying to really change the sound output--there's no reason to have four times more more money in capacitors than the amp is worth!

i plan to start recapping my L480, bought new around 1976.  My first pass would be to replace the power supply caps, then the power rectifiers. After that I will look at all of the 50v electrolytic caps.

Cheers,
Geary

mallikh67

« Reply #5 on: 8 May 2020, 09:15 am »
i want to recap my thiel cs 2.2 crossover. where to get the components opinions needed

SET Man

« Reply #6 on: 8 May 2020, 09:36 pm »
i want to recap my thiel cs 2.2 crossover. where to get the components opinions needed

Hey!

My 2 go-to for quality parts are....

Sonic Craft

http://www.soniccraft.com/

Part Connexion

https://www.partsconnexion.com/

Between these two you can pretty much find almost everything you need. They also, offer matching service for caps and resistors. Sonic Craft have a circle here.

Others that I do use for some parts...

Antique Electronic Supply

https://www.tubesandmore.com/

Part Express

https://www.parts-express.com/

Buddy