Introduction

Rapolas

Introduction
« on: 1 May 2020, 02:08 pm »
Hello, I like to enjoy nice music and have some interest in audio equipment. Currently I have Elac Debut F5.2 but they sound a bit "dull" to me as if they were covered with several blankets. On the other hand they are not fatiguing and have a wide soundstage which is their strong side I appreciate very much. I wonder would it be possible to make these speakers a bit more "alive"? May an upgrade of crossover would do some good?

toocool4

Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: 1 May 2020, 03:00 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle Rapolas

Have you tried playing them with the grills off? Also what is the rest of your setup, maybe you have a mismatch?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #2 on: 1 May 2020, 03:04 pm »
  Welcome. What amp are you using ?

charles

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 1 May 2020, 03:17 pm »
Welcome!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 1 May 2020, 03:55 pm »
Welcome to Audio Circle.  :D

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 1 May 2020, 04:37 pm »
Welcome  :thumb:
IMO this speaker sound dull to your ears due the low efficiency:
Sensitivity: 86db @2.83v/1m
Also using a xover will decrease the drivers efficiency.
« Last Edit: 1 May 2020, 07:06 pm by FullRangeMan »

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #6 on: 1 May 2020, 05:23 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC  Rapolas   :thumb:

richidoo

« Reply #7 on: 1 May 2020, 05:27 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle!

Did you blow the tweeters by playing them too loud?  :lol:
Seriously, put your ear against the tweeters while playing cymbals at very low volume and listen for any sound coming from them.

Try some other electronics, if available. Check if any EQ is applied in the electronics, like player software, tone control, room correction recalibrate, weird or broken cables, very plush room decor, or stuffed chairs next to the speakers. Make sure the speaker cable connections are clean and tight on both ends because electrical damping affects treble as well as bass.

Although the high frequency resolution on Debut may be less than audiophile tweeters would provide, Debut should still have relatively flat frequency response to 20kHz. Meaning the highs should still be loud enough even if not as detailed. So by "dull" do you mean that resolution (tonal and transient detail) is lacking? (cheap) 
Or is the treble actually playing too soft in comparison to the midrange frequencies? (broken)

If everything is healthy and you want more resolution, my personal advice is you're ready to upgrade to your next speakers. Modding rarely works out as well as expected. Modding is a hobby in itself. Fun if you like messing with things. Not fun if you just want to listen to music and not technically inclined and just doing it to save money. In the long term modding and DIY cost more than upgrading.

But if you just can't help yourself :) upgrading the stock tweeter resistors to Mills wirewound 5W, with the same values as stock will add some resolution without changing SPL. The added resolution actually sounds like added SPL, so it might be good both ways without needing to measure, etc. They are $7ea partsexpress, you'll probably need 4 total. Start a thread in Enclosures Circle or The Lab if you need help/advice with mods.