Greetings from Canada!!

CanadianShane

Greetings from Canada!!
« on: 1 May 2020, 04:50 am »
Hi and greetings from Canada!

With my 4th decade now well underway I found myself feeling nostalgic about some of the hifi systems I have had in the past. As my materialism and desire for unique and well researched stuff seems to be going into overload I find myself falling deeper and deeper into the rabbit hole of improving my set up and pursuing multiple build set ups.

I am not an audiophile - I am not looking for a perfect representation of the the music I listen to as recorded. I want my music colored, that said, I want to control what I am hearing and am not interested in cheap consumer grade equipment designed to make the decision for you.

I also find myself interested in some of the more obscure formats that have come and gone and am especially interested in building a late 90's Sony stack including a DAT recorder, Minidisc, top end CD transport, Cassette recorder (specifically a 3 head unit with Dolby S), SCD, etc, and to push the quality for each format to the top end of its limits.

Part of my reason for registering here is having watched a number of Danny's videos and wanting to build a set of X-LS Encore's as a start to my DIY building experience. More specifically, I was wondering if anyone here who has used a CNC router would be willing to share or sell the router drawings for the cabinet so that I can get someone with a CNC in my area to run/cut a pair for me?

Anyway great to be here!

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Re: Greetings from Canada!!
« Reply #1 on: 1 May 2020, 05:58 am »
Hi Shane, and welcome.

I'm afraid it's not so easy to share CNC programing, assuming you find someone who's willing. First, one would have to be using same or compatible CAD software. Then you take files to what's called a post processor that's machine specific. Although the G code that directs movement is somewhat universal, the software running that code is not. In my case WinCNC, but there's Mach, Centroid and many more.

I think it would easier to print plans off Danny's site and take to a local cabinet shop and see what they'd work out for you. Expect to pay for programming if you'd like it to be CNC cut. It's not a hard thing to make, but a single example of anything is costly because there are no economies of scale.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 1 May 2020, 06:02 am »
Welcome  :thumb:
There is few formats more obscure than DCC and Elcaset.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 1 May 2020, 01:21 pm »
Welcome!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 1 May 2020, 03:52 pm »
Welcome to Audio Circle.  :D

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 1 May 2020, 05:25 pm »