What are you using to power XLSs ...

jspin77

What are you using to power XLSs ...
« on: 28 Apr 2020, 01:15 am »
Hi, Just about to finish my XLSs (probably this weekend).  I have been thinking about what to power them with. I did get all the upgraded electronics and such.  I have an Emotiva XPA for my home theater, so I will probably quick connect them up to that. But these will ultimately be in a completely different room.

But long term, what is everyone using to power these? I want to do them justice, but don't want to go buy a multi-thousand dollar amp for my $400 speakers  :o

If you tell me some obscure amplifier from the 80s that I cannot get my hands on.. .that doesn't help! If you tell me there is a really cool DIY kit amplifier that isn't too difficult, that makes me happy.  But if you just bought something, that would be good too... just trying to get a feel for what others have done.

Jonathon Janusz

Re: What are you using to power XLSs ...
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 2020, 02:58 am »
Welcome to AudioCircle, and congrats on finishing your new speakers!

I've got my XLS Classics hooked up to an Odyssey Khartago SE stereo amp (Odyssey is another vendor here on AudioCircle) and Klaus at Odyssey is arguably one of the bang-for-the-buck kings in audio.  You can often find these amps used for a few hundred dollars (even new they're just at $1K), I've been very happy with mine for a long time, and it has continually improved as I've put better cabling and upstream gear along with it.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 28 Apr 2020, 03:02 am »
For keeping costs down but still getting good performance I'd recommend checking out the PS Audio Sprout 100. It's a 100wpc intigrated amp/DAC/phono pre/bluetooth streamer for $699  https://www.psaudio.com/products/sprout100-integrated-amplifier/#tab-features

Skilly

« Reply #3 on: 28 Apr 2020, 03:11 am »
Deleted

« Last Edit: 16 May 2020, 04:20 pm by Skilly »

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 28 Apr 2020, 03:55 am »
Greetings and welcome.
I am going to risk scorn and ridicule here by listing this I think but... I am using a NAD C 326BEE. I got it on ebay for $270.00 plus shipping. I replaced the jumpers with my own DIY copper cables. The sound is quite nice for normal listening. The volume is set so low. These speakers are so efficient that a little power produces torrents of sweet sound. I generally do not like torrents of anything no matter how sweet it sounds.

Not at all. I have a NAD C362. It's a great amp. The first real amp I bought was a NAD 3020 back in '81. Fantastic amp (except for the input buttons popping off and having to chase them down), I used it for 20 years.

vilding

• Musician. Audiophile on a budget.
« Reply #5 on: 28 Apr 2020, 09:22 am »
If you want something inexpensive and easy to build and don't need a lot of power, check out the Folsom DIY7297.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=138229.0

There are a lot of cool kits and builds but they get pricey pretty fast, with building a PS and buying a chassi/heatsinks etc.
This one has been getting a lot of hype and is probably worth a try for the money.

https://www.iotaenterprises.co.uk/products/iotavx-audiophile-stereo-amplifier-sa3

Maybe someone here has heard it and can chime in..?

Peace!

/Hilding

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #6 on: 28 Apr 2020, 01:08 pm »
For keeping costs down but still getting good performance I'd recommend checking out the PS Audio Sprout 100. It's a 100wpc intigrated amp/DAC/phono pre/bluetooth streamer for $699  https://www.psaudio.com/products/sprout100-integrated-amplifier/#tab-features

50 watts/8 ohms  :roll:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 28 Apr 2020, 01:31 pm »
50 watts/8 ohms  :roll:

Yes. It’s 100 watts into 4 ohm / 50 watts into 8 ohms. That’s with both channels driven so plenty of power for the X-LS Encore.

Ron at New Record Day reviewed the original Sprout which was half the power. Check out his review on YouTube

Captainhemo

« Reply #8 on: 28 Apr 2020, 04:00 pm »
I'll  2nd the  Folsom 7297 DIY  amp.  I've used mine to drive   a pair of the XLS  Encores  and it is a great match.  Not a ton of power but   in an 18x12 room,    it paired with the Encores produces   very decent levels.  On top of that, it's a great  sounding  little  amp that  will realy surprise you

Jeremy (Folsom),  also has a new  amp out  with  more power...  I don't have a link handy but I'm sure  someone  can   paste it in  if you  are  wanting a  DIY  project

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 28 Apr 2020, 10:01 pm »
Ron also has a review of the Sprout 100 on New Record Day. That’s the review to check out