New to the forum

Kjam1

New to the forum
« on: 27 Apr 2020, 07:43 pm »
Hello All,
Just getting started here on the forum and want to introduce myself, I am from Boise Idaho and I collect all things audio and really into tubes. old console tube amps, new tube amps, as well as tube
pre-amps. I have SS gear as well but much prefer the tube sound. I hope to get involved with others that are into restoring old tube gear.
Thanks
Kelly

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: New to the forum
« Reply #1 on: 27 Apr 2020, 08:02 pm »
Welcome Kelly, dont be shy to post photos.  :thumb:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 27 Apr 2020, 08:18 pm »
Hi Kelly,

Welcome to Audio Circle.  :D

I used to prefer tube sound too, but that has recently changed.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 27 Apr 2020, 10:25 pm »
Welcome!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 27 Apr 2020, 10:39 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Kelly   :thumb:

Kjam1

« Reply #5 on: 4 May 2020, 04:02 pm »
Thanks Guys, much appreciated. So Wind Chaser, what caused you to recently change from Tube to SS? I would guess, that having and using Tube gear takes more effort and maintenance that SS??

Kjam1

« Reply #6 on: 4 May 2020, 04:19 pm »
I have some info to share and ask questions from the forum members. I recently started a project on a pair of Magnepan MGIII speakers. One of the speakers Bass panel started to intermittently distort and then completely stop getting signal so I proceeded to take the speaker apart and noticed that one of the speaker wires to the mid-range panel was broken free from the crimp spade it was attached to and the Bass panel wire would short out if I touched it. Have any of you or know of someone on the forum that would be able to give good advice on how best to fix this issue? I have tried a couple of different ideas to fix it and it seems to be working now, but I want to make sure the fix will last for many years. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have attached a couple of pics to show you how this speaker is wired. The aluminum wire they use oxidizes over time and becomes brittle and breaks. Not an optimal solution to go with.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #7 on: 5 May 2020, 04:11 am »
So Wind Chaser, what caused you to recently change from Tube to SS?

I found something else that sounds neither like tubes or SS or anything else for that matter; they (mono blocks) have no signature/leave no imprint on the music, they are completely stealth.  :D :D

Kjam1

« Reply #8 on: 11 May 2020, 06:20 pm »
Can you please share more info?

Wind Chaser

« Reply #9 on: 11 May 2020, 08:01 pm »
I've written much about this here and elsewhere.  The bottom line for me is I don't want to hear any characteristics of the electronics upstream. If an amplifier sounds like either tubes or SS, then it's adding flavor or its own unique sound to the music.

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=154294.0

3 years later and I still am very happy with them. That's something of a miracle considering how much gear I've flipped over the years.  :D :D