Bryston vs Van Alstine

veloceleste

Bryston vs Van Alstine
« on: 25 Apr 2020, 06:26 pm »
I figured this may be neutral territory to ask. I'm a Bryston fan and need to move up in power from my 2.5Bsst2 to a 3B3 but unfortunately I'm getting priced out of their newer gear right now. I know Van Alstine's reputation for quality and service is on par with Bryston and I'm considering the Vision SET 400. Has anyone had a chance to compare this amp with either a Bryston squared or cubed amp? Thanks.

dB Cooper

Re: Bryston vs Van Alstine
« Reply #1 on: 25 Apr 2020, 06:44 pm »
My only listening experience with Bryston was at a Capital Audiofest a couple years ago. Sounded very 'dry' to me. YMMV, and it was 'show conditions', of course. I have heard much more AVA electronics and never been unimpressed. Try to liste beforehand if possible, talk to both, AVA has a generous trial period and maybe more bang-for-the-buck, but Bryston has the best warranty in the business. If all else fails, trust your feelings, Luke.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 25 Apr 2020, 06:57 pm »
I've owned both.  IMO Van Alstine is better.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2020, 07:11 pm »
I don’t think one can make meaningful generalizations about two brands. It’s going to come down to two very specific units. I’m sure you’ll find your preferences will depend on the exact models being compared rather than broadly speaking about the two brands.

charmerci

« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2020, 07:30 pm »
I've only owned AVA but no matter what the speakers (I've never owned ineffecient ones <85db) I've never run out of juice or had them overheat. You'd never believe how loud those old B&W DM302's with 6" midwoofers can get!  :o

PierreB

« Reply #5 on: 25 Apr 2020, 08:32 pm »
Bryston =canadian made + 20 years warranty
Van Alstine =usa made + 3years warranty.

But if you prefer the sound of the Van Alstine, go for it.

veloceleste

« Reply #6 on: 26 Apr 2020, 04:28 pm »
Thanks for the replies. A lot to consider and I know the bottom line is to listen in my system. I may consider some class d options now also considering improved implementation over the years. I'm not married to any one technology as long as it is sounds good and is reliable.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #7 on: 26 Apr 2020, 04:44 pm »
If you’re willing to consider Class D then you have the potential to move beyond good sound into the realm of great sound. 

EkW

« Reply #8 on: 26 Apr 2020, 09:22 pm »
If you’re willing to consider Class D then you have the potential to move beyond good sound into the realm of great sound. 
Which class D amps do you think might improve upon the Brystons and Van Alstines?  I read good things here about Digital Amp Company and the beta users of PSAudio's new Stellar 1200 seem to be very impressed with it.

aln

Van Alstine
« Reply #9 on: 26 Apr 2020, 09:29 pm »
I have the 400 Set and it is very open and dynamic.  Since Van Alstine has a 30 day return policy, why not give it a try?  I’m using the Set on a 4 way dynaudio system and it never gets warm!  Plenty of headroom.  Enjoy!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #10 on: 26 Apr 2020, 10:17 pm »
I read good things here about Digital Amp Company...

Yeah, they make some pretty fabulous amps alright.  :D   

I have owned more than a few very nice tube amps over the years, but never kept anyone of them much over a year.........  I’ve had the Cherry Maraschino’s for 3 years now and I am astonished that I am still completely satisfied with them.   :D :D   This has me convinced that I will never own another tube amp again.   8) :D

witchdoctor

« Reply #11 on: 26 Apr 2020, 10:50 pm »
Why not just get anther one and then run them both as monoblocks?

Back to the 2.5B3; it's a 135-watt-per-channel stereo amp that can be, with the flick of a switch, converted into a single 270-watt amp (so you'd then need two amps for stereo).

https://www.cnet.com/news/the-little-amplifier-that-could-bryston-2-5b3/

veloceleste

« Reply #12 on: 27 Apr 2020, 12:14 am »
Why not just get anther one and then run them both as monoblocks?

Back to the 2.5B3; it's a 135-watt-per-channel stereo amp that can be, with the flick of a switch, converted into a single 270-watt amp (so you'd then need two amps for stereo).

https://www.cnet.com/news/the-little-amplifier-that-could-bryston-2-5b3/
I want to simplify and have just one stereo amp.  At one point I thought very seriously about going to an active Bryston system and had two 2.5bsst2 amps and a B60 integrated which I used as a preamp. I did bi-amp and bi wire the my Mini T's with the 2.5's and it sounded  great but once I realized an active Bryston system was out of my reach I sold one of the 2.5bsst2 and the B60. The Mini T's are staying--I like them a lot. Unfortunately the 2.5bsst2 can run out of power with the Mini T's when I listen at a fairly high level--which I sometimes do. I get a little nervous when the clipping indicators flash. It doesn't happen often but it does happen.

witchdoctor

« Reply #13 on: 27 Apr 2020, 01:06 am »
I love bi-amping speakers, they just sound cleaner to my ears.I have a a pair of Paradigm Reference 20 speakers and when I bi-amped them with one Carver 5 channel amp  :o

I also have the active version of the same speaker, the Paradigm Reference Active 20. I think bi-amping brings you much closer to the sound of the active version, at least with mine.