Does the type of connector make a difference in IC's?

charmerci

So I want to order some IC's from the pre-amp's RCA into JBL powered monitors. My choice is either the 1/4" TS connector or the XLR. Any preference or sound difference?

zoom25

Re: Does the type of connector make a difference in IC's?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2020, 10:43 am »
You mean TRS as its labeled as balanced on the amp?

No SQ difference. I have both XLR and TRS options on my DAC and they sound identical with my 2 pair sets of XLR and TRS of same length of Grimm TPR. They are wired identically and correctly. There shouldn’t be any difference objectively either.

I do prefer the XLR though for durability. I exclusively use Neutrik Gold. If you’re plugging and unplugging cable constantly, the XLR will fare much better. XLR is my recommendation.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2020, 01:13 pm »
I hate 1/4 inch TRS connectors. Don't know how many times over the years that they would go flaky and need cleaning.

charmerci

« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2020, 02:08 pm »
OK. Thanks!  :thumb:

charmerci

« Reply #4 on: 24 Apr 2020, 05:13 pm »
Um, though in the instructions, JBL says that with unbalanced connections, one should use TRS.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #5 on: 24 Apr 2020, 05:26 pm »
Does 'JBL' show how the RCA to TRS interconnect should be wired?

charmerci

« Reply #6 on: 24 Apr 2020, 05:40 pm »
the instructions says
 " Connect professional equipment with balanced outputs to the XLR or 1/4" TRS input of the speaker using balanced signal cables.
 Connect consumer equipment with unbalanced outputs to the 1/4" TRS input of the speaker using unbalanced signal cables."

JohnR

« Reply #7 on: 24 Apr 2020, 06:44 pm »
Just get TS-RCA adapters and plug them into the unit, then use normal RCA cables to those.

Another reason TS and TRS jacks suck is that they short active to ground when being plugged in. However if you plug in the adapters and leave them there "permanently" that isn't an issue.

XLR-XLR is just better, but it seems that isn't an option here.

PS. BTW did you know that 1/4" jacks were invented in the 19th century?

charmerci

« Reply #8 on: 24 Apr 2020, 06:47 pm »
I'm just getting a pair made by AudioEnvy cables for a secondary computer system, so yeah, they won't be constantly plugged and unplugged.

JohnR

« Reply #9 on: 24 Apr 2020, 06:53 pm »
By "adapter" I don't mean a cable, but these: https://www.amazon.com.au/Hosa-GPR-101-Adaptors-pieces-Black/dp/B000068O3S

(You can find nicer metal ones)

charmerci

« Reply #10 on: 24 Apr 2020, 07:06 pm »
By "adapter" I don't mean a cable, but these: https://www.amazon.com.au/Hosa-GPR-101-Adaptors-pieces-Black/dp/B000068O3S

(You can find nicer metal ones)
But why would that be better than a custom made IC where one end is RCA and the other already has a built in TRS? It costs me no more to do it  this way.

charmerci

« Reply #11 on: 24 Apr 2020, 07:41 pm »
Whoa! Now I'm getting confused.
Instructions said TRS connector. But there is a TS connector.

Someone messaging says XLR. Others are saying RCA>TS adaptor. But I thought having a connector hardwired would be better than a possible not so tight plug-in.
Just spoke with AudioEnvy and they said I should speak with JBL about if the -10db input is in series with the XLR or the -10db switch itself. (The switch being ideal in my situation.)

:scratch:

JohnR

« Reply #12 on: 24 Apr 2020, 07:56 pm »
Well, you can just buy those cables off the shelf, personally I prefer the little adapters because they work with any RCA cable, fewer oddball cables to deal with, .... basically they convert a TS or TRS input into an RCA input.

SET Man

« Reply #13 on: 24 Apr 2020, 08:19 pm »
So I want to order some IC's from the pre-amp's RCA into JBL powered monitors. My choice is either the 1/4" TS connector or the XLR. Any preference or sound difference?

Hey!

Technically XLR is best but only if your source or preamp also have XLR output.

But in your situation I don't think it would matter much between the XLR and the 1/4" TS here. Those powered monitors were meant to be use primary in studio so that's why they come with the more commonly used connectors,  XLR and 1/4" TS input and not RCA.

Yes, get a pair of cables with terminated in XLR would be best but it would cost more. And with those power speakers, I doubt that they're really using balanced stage in there anyway. So, you can save some money and get XLR adapter to save some money and use your favorite RCA cables you already have.

Anyway, hope this help and maybe someone with more technical knowledge would have a better solution on this.

Buddy

Doublej

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #15 on: 25 Apr 2020, 01:25 pm »
Hey!
    Technically XLR is best but only if your source or preamp also have XLR output.
Buddy
While a balanced output >> balanced cable >> balanced input is best.
a unbalanced output >> adapter >> balanced cable >> balanced input is better than an unbalanced interconnect system.

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #16 on: 26 Apr 2020, 05:57 pm »
Speedskater
So i would expect improvement with an adapter? I have RCA connections with my Bryston 14Bsst2 and my pre amp, I saw some Moon Audio balance to RCA adapters , 2 levels $40/pair and $120/pr. Reading the reviews i was thinking of the lower priced pair. Lots of talk about 3 pin and connections that I don’t understand but are the Moon adapters OK with the Bryston inputs. Reviews don’t mention Bryston but amps of similar cost

CurtisIIX

« Reply #17 on: 26 Apr 2020, 10:12 pm »
Lots of talk about 3 pin and connections that I don’t understand but are the Moon adapters OK with the Bryston inputs.

To achieve what Speedskater is describing, you want the adapter on the pre-amp output and shielded twisted pair/quad cable between the preamp and amp. According to Bill Whitlock (Jensen Transformers), it would provide a 30dB common mode noise rejection. If you are just using an adapter on your existing single-ended RCA cables, you won't get any benefit.

The correct adapter would have a male RCA end and male XLR end. Preamp female RCA -> male RCA to male XLR adapter -> female XLR to male XLR shielded twisted pair/quad cable -> female XLR input on Bryston amp. The adapter needs to be wired correctly: RCA center to XLR pin 2, RCA shield to XLR pin 3, and RCA shield to XLR pin 1. I would ask Moon Audio for the pinout before purchase.

If you don't have shielded twisted pair/quad XLR cables, you could just purchase the correct RCA/XLR cable from Benchmark https://benchmarkmedia.com/collections/cables/products/benchmark-rca-to-xlrm-adapter-cable or see if your favorite cable vendor can make it to the pinout that Benchmark describes.

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #18 on: 27 Apr 2020, 03:40 pm »
Curtis
Thanks for your response the description,  tutoring and the link
 :D

charmerci

« Reply #19 on: 29 Apr 2020, 03:30 pm »
Crazy update.
So I spoke to AudioEnvy on Friday, and the guy asked me to contact JBL to find out if, on the audio connections Balanced input, is the -10db switch in series with the XLR input or is it shared with the TS input? So I emailed JBL's technical department that question.

I hadn't heard from them by late Monday pm so lacking info, I went with the safe way and ordered the TS connector since I had already sent in the payment and wasn't sure I'd hear from JBL.

But this morning, someone from JBL responded, "The switch is in line with both inputs and they are both balanced inputs..The switch affects both inputs."
So I immediately called AE and they were just putting my cable together and switched the order to a XLR connector!  :lol:
Thanks for the input!  :thumb: