Audio files over Ethernet cables ZERO change

audiogurujax

Audio files over Ethernet cables ZERO change
« on: 24 Apr 2020, 01:27 am »
Hi everyone, First let me start by saying, I am an electrical engineer and a sometimes not very logical audiophile, only because I love this hobby and I am an OCD buyer LOL. So, I want to believe that changing Ethernet cables or high-end routers improves music, Even without believing I have 2 WireWorld Platinum Starlight  and 1 Starlight Ethernet Cable so please don't reply like I am one of those who think everything is snake oil!  :wink:

Ok Now that I already introduced myself, I made a small test, Even tho I knew the results before I did it since is basic knowledge of network topology, I transferred 3 songs from my NAS using a cheapo old 100 mbs switch and a brand new STOM switch I did this with 2 WireWorld Platinum Starlight 2M long Ethernet cables on the STOM switch and with 2 50ft long Home Depot Cat5e cable with the old switch, I  used wireshark and tcpdump to analyze the packets and I also performed a Bit Error Rate Test with a Viavi 5800. Results all 3 files transferred perfectly on both test scenarios the files sent and received where 100% Identical bit to bit, Ethernet is a protocol designed to handle and transfer gigabits of information back and forward thousands of times. You can have an image or a music file transferred 10 thousand times across the globe (downloaded, uploaded, shared, etc.) and unless something bad happen the file at the end will be bit to bit identical to the original. bottom If I start playing a song from my server to my Streamer with line a Basic Belkin 2m long Cat6 cable or my 2m long WireWorld Platinum Starlight and I analyze real-time what my DAC is getting with a Viavi 5800 there will be absolutely no difference.

People will tell me o but you have to hear the difference.  One of my dealers is always playing jokes with his customers he will play a song then tell the customers he is changing to a top of the line cable, but in reality do absolutely nothing to the system,  :icon_twisted: play the same song again and mostly everyone will tell you yes it sounded better I could hear the details better or is more relaxed etc.  :lol:

Trusting your ears to determine what is better is like measuring distance with your eyes.
No one cant tell exactly what frequency a tone is by hearing it or the HUE of a color by looking at it.

The only thing hearing is good for is to determine if you like it or not, Just because you prefer the sound of one DAC over the other it does not mean is better, it might very well be less accurate but to your ears sound better

Anyway I still use my WireWorld Cables only because i like them, I know in reality they do absolutely nothing but this hobby is not logical, some o the most inaccurate gear I have measured are some of the most expensive but some people love them and other hates them Like SE tubes amps LOL.

So If you want to buy expensive Ethernet cables because it look god in your system, go ahead but remember if you hear a difference and trust me most likely you will ( like myself)   :scratch:  , is on your head   :o