Spatial with a Dennis had inspire

Jprod

Spatial with a Dennis had inspire
« on: 23 Apr 2020, 12:03 pm »
Hello. Just wondering if any spatial owners use a Dennis had inspire amp with their speakers.  If so comments on synergy?

schw06

Re: Spatial with a Dennis had inspire
« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2020, 12:33 pm »
What a coincidence. I just ordered one from Dennis a few minutes ago and let him choose between the 6l6 optimized version and the kt88 optimized version. I'm just waiting to hear back which he thinks will be a better match. He owns and makes his own open baffle speakers and he's a straight shooter so I trust his judgement.  I've owned one in the past (not with Spatials) but I can't imagine it being anything but great (particularly because you can roll tubes to get the sound you prefer). I have the X3's so I will be happy to comment once it arrives and settles in. The other manufacturer to consider is Don Sachs if finances permit. He has a pair of X5's on order from Clayton so he will be a good resource once he gets his pair.
David

Jprod

« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2020, 01:11 pm »
Thanks for the reply.  I am waiting on a pair of x5s and currently have a parasound a21.  Have always been intrigued by tubes but I also don’t want to make a lateral move

Shakeydeal

« Reply #3 on: 23 Apr 2020, 01:13 pm »
I doubt that any decent tube amp would be a lateral move from the Parasound. Most will certainly be a step up.

Shakey

Jprod

« Reply #4 on: 23 Apr 2020, 02:05 pm »
Thanks again for input.  Hard to make a decision without an audition but that’s the online retail world we live in now. I have a wyred4sound stpse preamp and trying to decide whether to go tube pre for now with my amp or keep the ss pre and go tube amp.  Also have been looking at some Amps from ps audio and linear tube audio but they are at much higher price points. 

Shakeydeal

« Reply #5 on: 23 Apr 2020, 02:09 pm »
There are still some retailers who will allow home auditions. I bought my Carver Crimson 275 from Jim Clark Stereo and he gave me a 10 day, no questions asked return option.

Shakey

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #6 on: 23 Apr 2020, 02:44 pm »
What a coincidence. I just ordered one from Dennis a few minutes ago and let him choose between the 6l6 optimized version and the kt88 optimized version. I'm just waiting to hear back which he thinks will be a better match. He owns and makes his own open baffle speakers and he's a straight shooter so I trust his judgement.  I've owned one in the past (not with Spatials) but I can't imagine it being anything but great (particularly because you can roll tubes to get the sound you prefer). I have the X3's so I will be happy to comment once it arrives and settles in. The other manufacturer to consider is Don Sachs if finances permit. He has a pair of X5's on order from Clayton so he will be a good resource once he gets his pair.
David

Hi, David.

I'd sure like to 'hear' your thoughts and impressions of your X3s once you're comfortable with their burn in and/or positioning.

The X3s are on my 'If I survive this pandemic...' list of gear I want to add to my collection. I really ought to contact Clayton about room size limitations. I'm certain my amps/preamps would sound glorious with them - if the room is suitable.

Michael

Shakeydeal

« Reply #7 on: 23 Apr 2020, 02:57 pm »
I've had my X3s for about 8 months now and I can tell you they are the real deal.

Shakey

schw06

« Reply #8 on: 23 Apr 2020, 03:07 pm »
Michael,
   I’m only on the 2nd week of ownership with them playing around the clock so they’re not yet settled and final placement hasn’t been worked on. Despite that I threw away the pallet they were shipped on and started really making decisions about associated equipment to build around them. I can tell you thus far they literally check off every “must have” and “nice to have” on my laundry list for speakers. In the end I have realized speaker purchases are extremely personal but I will share with you that everything I value is beyond my expectations with them. I’m happy to connect with you personally but I don’t want to throw another “These are the greatest (fill in the blank) I’ve ever heard and I just got them yesterday” post. My suspicion is that’s where my ultimate opinion of them will likely land but I need a few months of living with them to develop a valid opinion in writing. I can say that at this point I have owned speakers 2-3 times their price and did not know this level of performance was achievable without spending ridiculous money.

schw06

« Reply #9 on: 23 Apr 2020, 04:10 pm »
I just heard back from Dennis on which amp he recommends and here's a cut and paste: 
"I have a very special amplifier that I just love building and listening to.  In fact I have attached a couple of pictures of the new KT-88 SEP amplifier I shipped to a fellow Inspire family member on Monday.  Plenty of power ... 12 watts of class A single-ended pentode.  I will be honored to build one of the new Inspire KT-88 SEP amplifiers for you on a Harley Black chassis and burled walnut front panel."
-So that's what I ordered.
David

Jprod

« Reply #10 on: 23 Apr 2020, 04:26 pm »
Thanks for the info. What was the price and how long for build time ?

schw06

« Reply #11 on: 23 Apr 2020, 04:56 pm »
 He told me next week but I also only live a few hours from his home so shipping would be next day. You should contact him as your amp price depends on the exact configuration and tubes you want. If you need his contact email you can shoot me a personal message and I can give it to you.
David

Shakeydeal

« Reply #12 on: 23 Apr 2020, 05:01 pm »
I would really like to hear Dennis' new designs. I've owned a couple of Cary Audio pieces and they just didn't do it for me. That said, I did have a pair of AES sixpacs in my system for a few hours and they were just wonderful.

Shakey

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #13 on: 23 Apr 2020, 06:19 pm »
David
EL34, KT66 and KT88 are the best Pentode tubes to roll imo, KT66 also are a cheap tube.

thetakeout

« Reply #14 on: 23 Apr 2020, 07:45 pm »
schw06

Are you getting the inspire preamp also or just the power amp?  If you are just getting the power amp, what are you going to use for the preamp?

schw06

« Reply #15 on: 23 Apr 2020, 08:48 pm »
Dennis could have easily talked me into buying a preamp but he said he loves the sound direct from source and my dac has a volume control so going that route first. If I feel the need for a preamp it will be the usual suspects (Sachs, LTA, or other 6sn7’s/12sn7 preamps).

Jprod

« Reply #16 on: 23 Apr 2020, 09:45 pm »
Order placed with Dennis. Looking forward to it. I made a small leap of faith but I think I will be happy

thetakeout

« Reply #17 on: 24 Apr 2020, 02:28 am »
schw06, thanks for the response!

I bet your setup will be killer.  I am new to the 6SN7.  They are the preamp tube in my amp and holy smokes do I love them.  I tracked down some really nice Sylvania/RCA 5692's.  They are just incredible!  That is the tube I would want in a preamp also!   That or like you said the 12SN7 because they are so much cheaper. 

Jprod

« Reply #18 on: 1 May 2020, 10:25 pm »
Dennis could have easily talked me into buying a preamp but he said he loves the sound direct from source and my dac has a volume control so going that route first. If I feel the need for a preamp it will be the usual suspects (Sachs, LTA, or other 6sn7’s/12sn7 preamps).

Did you get the amp yet and if so preliminary thoughts?

schw06

« Reply #19 on: 2 May 2020, 12:32 am »
It just showed up yesterday. So far I‘m just letting the amp and tubes settle in. It’s as quiet as a solid state amp and adds the 3D magic of tubes. Again I hate to be hasty but initial impressions are extremely favorable. I can say it has zero difficulty driving the X3’s in my 17x24x10 room.
David