Hello Fellow Audiophiles

Returntomusic

Hello Fellow Audiophiles
« on: 20 Apr 2020, 04:16 am »
I am an audio enthusiast, putting together a retirement system, and interested in the AudioCircle forum members’ experiences and viewpoints.
Owned a fair amount of equipment since getting into this hobby/obsession in my college years (early 70s).
Thanks

Phil A

Re: Hello Fellow Audiophiles
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2020, 12:53 pm »
Welcome to AC!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2020, 01:04 pm »
Welcome  :thumb:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 20 Apr 2020, 01:54 pm »
Welcome to Audio Circle.  :D

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #4 on: 20 Apr 2020, 02:08 pm »
Welcome!

Questions for you:

1.) Budget?
2.) The given space?
3.) Uses (audio only, HT, or both)?
4.) Your tastes?
5.) Desired source(s)?

Being retired myself, have an idea of what constitutes a "retirement system" might look like: smaller, simpler, reliable, not a ton of bass, highs, or output needed, and perhaps low budget.  Thankfully the lower cost end of the scale has never offered better value.  Leading that promise is CD quality streaming ($20/month or less for access to millions of albums that are completely portable with storage issues).  Which would require some sort of streamer/DAC.  NAD (celebrating their 50th anniversary) offers $550 Node 2i, a $1650 C658 (a "Node on steroids"), or the $2750 M10 (from their Masters series which includes 100 wpc amp).  All operate off BlueSound and can be controlled via Windows, Mac, Android, or iOS. 

Another smaller/simpler option is the use of active monitors (way better performance per cubic foot and dollar).  Actives use a low voltage crossover to feed one channel of amplification per driver for technically and sonically superior performance.  Prices start at $300/pair for JBL 305 Mk2 (another company with deep roots) and go up from there.  We can talk when you compile 3 or more posts. 

Returntomusic

« Reply #5 on: 25 Apr 2020, 04:16 pm »
Hello again- would like to apologize. I
I did respond to you all about April 21, but got a message that had me thinking my response would be delayed by some sort of vetting from the moderator.
Apparently my rather long response was not captured. Will work on it tonight (sent a long response with room details, etc)
Will address budget- around $7000, less of course is good. I’ve got a Hegel H-80 and a PrimaLuna Prologue Two (integrateds) I thought one could be used as a the pre/power.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 25 Apr 2020, 09:11 pm »
Hello again- would like to apologize. I
I did respond to you all about April 21, but got a message that had me thinking my response would be delayed by some sort of vetting from the moderator.
Apparently my rather long response was not captured. Will work on it tonight (sent a long response with room details, etc)
Will address budget- around $7000, less of course is good. I’ve got a Hegel H-80 and a PrimaLuna Prologue Two (integrateds) I thought one could be used as a the pre/power.
Your public profile show that you posted two times and these msg already was approved.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 25 Apr 2020, 11:44 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Returntomusic   :thumb: