Introduction

lev00221

Introduction
« on: 17 Apr 2020, 01:18 pm »
Hello AudioCircle,

I have been an audiophile most of my life and started with Car Stereo in the late Eighties and early Nineties.  I have owned the Infinity IRS Betas since 2004 and I am now looking to upgrade to something more modern.  I am trying to get informed on what is out there and what some good options might be.   I am looking for something in planar or ribbon speaker and I would prefer a line source array if possible.  Thus, I thought that this would be a good place to get some information and advice from other audiophiles

Thank you for having me and thank you in advance for your kindness.

Sincerely,
Luis E. Velez

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: 17 Apr 2020, 01:33 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Luis   :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 17 Apr 2020, 02:07 pm »
The modern trends are active speakers with controlled directivity and multiple subwoofers, pretty much the opposite of what you have in mind. 

Active speakers are nearly always 2 or 3 way monitors with built-in power amps.  Active means that they're fed a low voltage analog signal (RCA/XLR) or digital signal to a sophisticated crossover which then feeds individual channels of amplification, one channel per driver.  Technical and sonic performance stomps audiophile traditional passives.  There is no need for a bank of drivers.  And imaging is greatly improved. 

Controlled directivity addresses the disconnect between woofer and tweeter dispersion for again, enhanced imaging at the crossover frequency and provides the same performance regardless of the room.  It usually involves use of a waveguide, which looks like a horn loading of the tweeter, but can also employ helper woofers with advanced circuitry to develop a cardioid shaped bass dispersion pattern. 

Suggest reading Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" the consummate audiophile guide to learning how speakers/subwoofers behave in-room.  Room inevitably have bass peaks/dips, up to 30 dB!  3 or 4 carefully placed subwoofers help smooth out those peaks/dips.  Proper absorption treatments can also help (contact GIK here at Audio Circle).  Note that two full range speakers typically cannot be in the ideal location to generate bass and midrange/treble. 

Feel free to reply here or PM me for more advice.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr 2020, 02:38 pm »
Welcome to Audio Circle.  :D

Planar or ribbon? How about planar and ribbon?  :wink:

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 17 Apr 2020, 03:08 pm »
Welcome!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 17 Apr 2020, 06:27 pm »
Welcome Luis :thumb: