New here, need advice

Tom Wiles

New here, need advice
« on: 16 Apr 2020, 11:26 pm »
Over the years I've spent a small fortune on audio equipment. I long ago lost count of the number of boxes I've carried home from audio stores.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: New here, need advice
« Reply #1 on: 16 Apr 2020, 11:43 pm »
Welcome Tom  :thumb:
Well if you have a good tube amp you may stay out of the upgrade virus but will have to retube, so its important use easy to find tubes as Russian military tubes which usually are cheap and reliable.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 16 Apr 2020, 11:50 pm »
Welcome!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 17 Apr 2020, 01:57 am »
Hey Tom,

I know exactly what you’re saying. Welcome to Audio Circle.  :D

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #4 on: 17 Apr 2020, 04:20 am »
Welcome to AC, Tom.

Michael

Norman Tracy

« Reply #5 on: 17 Apr 2020, 05:22 am »
Lost count of the boxes, not me. Its 1, 2, 3...12, 13, ...17..ahhhh  :duh: oh never mind.

:icon_lol:

Welcome to AC. Hi my name is Norman and I lost count of the boxes too.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 17 Apr 2020, 05:48 am »
In my case I was especially unsuccessful with amps :duh:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 17 Apr 2020, 12:07 pm »
Welcome!

Not much different than most other "man hobbies".  Hopefully you've enjoyed the process and learned from it.

IMO most ignore the room and pay the price.  If you can't have a decent room (proper size, proportions, insulated, and dedicated) you're better off just casual listening in-room with a modest system and leave the serious listening to headphones.  The price is living with frustration of over buying gear repeatedly that is a mismatch for your expectations. 

Suggest reading Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" the consummate audiophile guide to understanding how speakers/subwoofers behave in-room.  In it you'll learn that every room has significant bass peaks/dips (up to 30 dB!) and that the answer is replacing full range speakers with monitors and carefully placed multiple subwoofers in a decent room.  After that room treatments and maybe room correction may be in order.  Recommend keeping big equipment racks to the side to allow the soundstage to fill the space between the monitors.

Next find an amp that matches up well with those monitors, or better yet buy active monitors (one channel of amplification per driver using a sophisticated low voltage crossover) where the manufacturer has specified a particular amp for each driver.  Technically and sonically active monitors are vastly superior to passives.  They also cost less overall and save on clutter.  Unfortunately most audiophiles operate too much by hunter instincts (proving his manhood by bagging the big prize and having lots of trophies to show off). 

Sources are up to you.  But it's never been a better time to go digital.  CD quality streaming is available for $20/month that provides access to millions of albums with no need for storage or backup and is completely portable (within interest range).  Good quality streamers and DACs are available for cheap.  And all-in-one boxes makes the technology pretty painless. 

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #8 on: 17 Apr 2020, 01:40 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Tom   :thumb: