What to do with a Thorens TD166 that needs work and a new home?

hilde45

Hi all, I have a turntable, with cover and original box. The plinth is in great shape. It has a signet cartridge on it but it's missing a needle. The tonearm is bent a bit. The unit still works, but one person (experienced shop owner) who analyzed the speed said it's slow. I have learned by a little research that it will be expensive to fix this up, and I don't really want to head back into vinyl. Does anyone have any suggestions about what to do with this? Are there hobbyists who might want to buy it? How would I figure this out or a price to suggest? Your advice appreciated.

« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2020, 02:06 am by hilde45 »

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
Sound like a Karma pick a number and award a new home.  And just to be clear I am not entering the spinning platter domain, just yet.

Let the winner pay shipping, your closet is clear and baby has a new home.

Alan

timind

• permanent vacation
Sound like a Karma pick a number and award a new home.  And just to be clear I am not entering the spinning platter domain, just yet.

Let the winner pay shipping, your closet is clear and baby has a new home.

Alan

This,

or throw it on ebay and let the market decide.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Just don't expect a high price.  It's not the all-time best Thorens, but still a desirable model and likey worth finding a good tonearm and motor or board, whatever your guy noted.  If it's bearing likely just give it away.  But regardless, one doesn't know if that's all you're into.  Maybe expect
50-$100?  Nice ones ask $400-600.  You said it had a nice base, that's somewhat rare if not refinished.   All the best with whatever you decide.

hilde45

Yeah, I'm not really looking at this as a money maker. I'm looking to settle it in with someone so they can fix it up and enjoy it. I could imagine someone who really knows turntables who'd love to fix it up or maybe fix it and give it to a friend or child. I could also donate it to our local audio shop, which could fix it up and sell it -- help them stay in business.

Doublej

I just found this.

https://vinylnirvana.com/

hilde45

That's a great resource! Thanks so much. I'll look into this. Much appreciated.

sunnydaze

VN is a well known and reputable TT mod / upgrade / restoration house for many years now.  From what I can tell -- viewing their output and reading owner comments over the years -- they do excellent work.   :thumb:

orthobiz

I can vouch for Dave's work at Vinyl Nirvana. It's definitely the go to place to send it.
I'm sure he would tell you what it's worth to him. Like you said, not a money maker but it
will definitely find a good home.

Paul

hilde45

Thanks. I wrote to him.