New Guy

Albert213

New Guy
« on: 11 Apr 2020, 07:25 pm »
Greetings,

I’m new here. I’m not in the business but I found out this hobby could be really rewarding. Especially when you are recently single..hehe.
I have been involved in home stereo since my dad started by Buying a Luxman unit in 1894. I never knew things could sound better however until the internet. I didn’t read stereophile ect ect.
Now I am on my second or fifth set of speakers. and my fifth or sixth Amp.
I currently use a Yamaha RX 1V and Magnipan MMG as my reference .
I still need a lot of things to add to my system so that it will be incrementally better. But the crossover kit I have now should help just a bit thanks.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: New Guy
« Reply #1 on: 11 Apr 2020, 07:49 pm »
Welcome Albert :thumb:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 11 Apr 2020, 08:01 pm »
Hey Albert, welcome to Audio Circle.  :D

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 11 Apr 2020, 08:02 pm »
Welcome!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 11 Apr 2020, 11:08 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Albert   :thumb:

Scroof Neachy

• I like to smell stuff
« Reply #5 on: 12 Apr 2020, 02:21 am »
Greetings  :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 12 Apr 2020, 01:35 pm »
Welcome!

Have been around audio for ~50 years and have a similar story - divorce then discovered the internet (wondered why all the local stereo shops had closed).  Tried to warm up to SETs but too much of a speaker guy and couldn't find efficient speakers i liked (20 years ago).  But along the way fell in love with the coherence of single driver speakers and from there it was a small leap to the advantages of active speakers.  In 2005 built a house with new wife and got a man cave in the deal (front in audio, back is an office).  Was able to spec it out as I wanted: right shape, as big as possible, well insulated, and private.  Use midfield setup with commissioned transmission line floor standers with single drivers. 

Literally dropped my turntable about 35 years ago so fully committed to digital ever since.  Have gone the CDP, to transport/DAC, to computer/DAC, to server/DAC, and now onto a NAD M10 "streaming amplifier" all-in-one box routes which feeds my minimalistic mantra and my dread of computers.  Also tried a couple of active monitors which I liked but again to scale back the hoard sold them on.  Along the way read Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" and learned how speakers/subs behave in-room, so now have (3) subs, (10) GIK absorption panels, use (3) tall bookcases as casual diffusers, and have Dirac Live running as icing on the cake.