Series and Parallel

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
Re: Series and Parallel
« Reply #40 on: 11 Apr 2020, 04:52 pm »
Changing the impedance of the bass drivers means a change in XO (level issues as well). But an even number of drivers is easier to get to a usable ipedance.

You either wire each box in series and parallel the 2 boxes, or wire the drivers in parallel, and then wire the 2 boxes in series. Which is best depends on amp and the impedance of an individual speaker.

dave

Housteau

« Reply #41 on: 11 Apr 2020, 05:18 pm »
Changing the impedance of the bass drivers means a change in XO (level issues as well). But an even number of drivers is easier to get to a usable ipedance.

You either wire each box in series and parallel the 2 boxes, or wire the drivers in parallel, and then wire the 2 boxes in series. Which is best depends on amp and the impedance of an individual speaker.

dave

If starting from scratch then yes, this is logical.  But, this was an added option and not designed in from the beginning.

ZAKski288

« Reply #42 on: 11 Apr 2020, 06:48 pm »
Hello Dave ,  doesn’t the Xilica 4080 have 8 outputs, so you would not have to series the two bass modules together, just add a couple more amps.  More power.   Ken

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #43 on: 11 Apr 2020, 06:52 pm »
Dave, me? What is a Xilica 4080 or have i missed something?

dave

ZAKski288

« Reply #44 on: 11 Apr 2020, 06:56 pm »
No, Mr. Housteau’s first name is also Dave, Sorry for the confusion. Ken

Housteau

« Reply #45 on: 11 Apr 2020, 07:11 pm »
Hello Dave ,  doesn’t the Xilica 4080 have 8 outputs, so you would not have to series the two bass modules together, just add a couple more amps.  More power.   Ken

Yes, it sure does and I could.   But, I see no reason to bring in another set of amps.  The frequency range covered by these units is very narrow and an 8 ohm load with both in series would be a normal load.  I am using a set of Odyssey Stratos Extreme Mono SE's there now and I am sure they are feeling very underutilized.

Housteau

« Reply #46 on: 11 Apr 2020, 07:24 pm »
Only problem with this solution is the two in series would get collectively half the power going through the series parallel system because they would represent a 12.6Ω load. So, each of those drivers would handle 1/4 the power that the single parallelled 6.3Ω driver would handle.

Since it is V shaped, the two in series appear to be on each side, with the one in parallel facing forward.   This must be the design intent.  The upper section is a full dipole, actually as a rear facing horn with the folded back wings.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #47 on: 11 Apr 2020, 08:13 pm »
STM try adjust two loudspeakers with 3 woofers each its a mod too expensive with uncertain sound results since a superb Neo 15'' Eminence woofer cost just only $220 each and Ferrite models even cheaper.
https://www.eminence.com/speakers/speaker-detail/?model=Kappalite_3015
« Last Edit: 11 Apr 2020, 10:41 pm by FullRangeMan »