Building a Folsom EC7293

vilding

• Musician. Audiophile on a budget.
Building a Folsom EC7293
« on: 7 Apr 2020, 11:02 am »
So this is my first amplifier build, and by far, my biggest endeavour into electronics. Although a little nervous, I have really high hopes.
Right now it's pretty much a waiting game though, since the Covid-19-situation delays shipping of my transformers. But it gives me time to familiarize myself with the task at hand. :)

The Folsom Error Correcting 7293 stereo amplifier comes as a set of unpopulated boards. The amp boards are in mono so two are required. I opted for a dual mono construction and ordered two amp boards and two Dualpole PSU-boards. The boards are really neat and easy to figure out for a complete noob as me. They have plenty of room for everything so mounting and soldering will be a breeze. It also uses a PVI power supply for the input. Here is a link to the DIYAudio gb: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/338275-folsom-ec7293-pvi-powered-frontend-60-120w-8-4ohm.html

I went with a Modu Dissipante 2U chassi for the build. It's a really nicely designed and sturdy chassi with really big wavy heatsinks as sides. The front is nicely machined aluminium aand supports rack mounting if you want that. Although, it seems like it's gonna be a bit of a squeeze height wise, so I've decided to simply raise it a little by making a frame of black painted wood that goes around the bottom of the case. Some dry fitting suggests it will look kinda cool with the heatsinks and front plate a little bit suspended.

So far I've layed out everything and mounted the PVI- and PSU-boards. I think as it is my very first attempt at something like this and my desoldering skills aren't the best, I'm gonna mount, take photo, ask for confirmation, solder. Also, before any start up, my electrician friend is gonna help med trace it all and see to it that I haven't done anything really weird. Right now I'll go cut some wood, take some pictures and take a walk in the sun.

Don't really know what to occupy my time with now until the trannies come, though, since I've been akin to get this project underway. Take an online course in electronics, maybe..?
I will add photos to this thread as it progresses.

Stay safe!

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: Building a Folsom EC7293
« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr 2020, 11:31 am »
https://www.circuitbasics.com/diy-electronics/

Practice your soldering skills. Practice using flux with a good flux remover plus wash. Use some “throwaway” boards like from Ebay. A temperature controlled soldering iron is best with the right sized tip(s).

Far too often I see horrid soldering and wiring practices on various forums. Think if somebody else got your build, would they be able to debug it because of how neatly it was assembled?

Best,
Anand.

vilding

• Musician. Audiophile on a budget.
« Reply #2 on: 7 Apr 2020, 11:53 am »
https://www.circuitbasics.com/diy-electronics/

Practice your soldering skills. Use flux with a good flux remover and wash with some “throwaway” boards like from Ebay.

Far too often I see horrid soldering and wiring practices on various forums. Think if somebody else got your build, would they be able to debug it because of how neatly it was assembled?

Best,
Anand.

Thanks for the link!

I think the soldering will work out fine, even if not perfect. I've done some practicing on different pieces of junk and old scavenged boards in preparation and using flux, no matter the solder, is probably one of my greatest lessons here... And ofc, rebuilt a few speaker crossovers. But yeah, getting something cheapo from Ebay for additional practice is probably not a bad idea, though...   :D
Just hoping to avoid too much desoldering and fixing messy mistakes on this project.

I've also told myself to let it take time and work slowly and neatly all the way through, taking care when routing wires and planning all connections out well. What I think I want to get into more is just general knowledge and understanding about electronics. High current is a little bit scary, after all. So again. Thanks for the link! My background is as an musician, so I haven't even close to studied any natural science for fifteen years. Youtube is great, but a little splotchy, you know.... My return from this, as much as hopefully a working and great sounding piece of gear, is the learning and thinking and tinkering. That's what DIY is all about, right? :)

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jul 2020, 01:10 am »
Practice is good. Getting the heat high enough to not cook the board from thermal creep is a valuable skill.