AR XB1 help needed

Mikelee1951

AR XB1 help needed
« on: 6 Apr 2020, 04:36 am »
Gidday from Oz guys, As a newbie I need some advice and let me say in advance my tech ability is only marginally better than Homer Simpson's...

I've read some of the site's posts already and feel this is where i need to be to get the right answers relating to AR turntables.

I recently purchased an AR XB1 turntable to go old school and listen to my old vinyl collection. I chose the AR having previously owned one in the eighties and loved their simplicity..I'm waiting on some parts (belt, talc, Grado black cart, new head shell and silicone damping fluid) to do a basic overhaul based on a very good video demonstrating how to replace the belt, clean and lube the platter spindle and sleeve as well as the arm pivot and sleeve.

My questions are as follows.
1. The cueing mechanism doesn't work, apart from a millimetre or so. I've ordered the damping fluid anticipating this will be needed but would welcome your advice on how to go about the repair.
2. I have the original head shell with a Shure 70 EJ cartridge. Because i don't know how old the cart and stylus are and original parts are not available i thought the Grado Black would represent better value than simply replacing the stylus. When attaching the Grado to the new head shell what do i need to do regarding overhang and how do i measure it. Bear in mind my lack of tech knowledge when explaining the process.

Looking forward to whatever assistance you might be able to offer. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: AR XB1 help needed
« Reply #1 on: 6 Apr 2020, 09:15 am »
Welcome Mike  :thumb:
I will transfer your topic to the Vinyl Circle as I not able to address your questions.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 6 Apr 2020, 12:54 pm »
Welcome!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 6 Apr 2020, 03:07 pm »
Welcome to Audio Circle.  :D

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #4 on: 6 Apr 2020, 04:31 pm »
We have a member that is quite knowledgeable about AR turntables.  When you meet the post requirement, PM  "Wayner" for his opinion. 

OzarkTom

« Reply #5 on: 7 Apr 2020, 06:29 am »
I sold a lot of AR's back in the 80's, my surprise was it sounded better than a Linn, Oracle Delphi, SOTA, Rega, and VPI back then.

orthobiz

« Reply #6 on: 7 Apr 2020, 11:29 pm »
We have a member that is quite knowledgeable about AR turntables.  When you meet the post requirement, PM  "Wayner" for his opinion.

Agree!

Paul

Mikelee1951

« Reply #7 on: 8 Apr 2020, 01:57 am »
Thanks for the welcome messages, much appreciated 

The instructions for newbies, as i understand them, requires i make three posts to qualify to ask further questions.

Does a reply count as a post and if this is a stupid question as i said earlier i rely on Homer Simpson for technical advice.

Cheers :)

adminRH

• Admin
« Reply #8 on: 8 Apr 2020, 02:07 am »
The instructions for newbies, as i understand them, requires i make three posts to qualify to ask further questions.

No. You can ask questions anytime.

Does a reply count as a post

Yes.

Mikelee1951

« Reply #9 on: 9 Apr 2020, 04:17 am »
I love this site for the mine of information it offers. My wife not so much for the time i now spend in the mine :D

It occurs to me that the lack of any adjustment when securing the Grado cart to the AR head shell would indicate overhang and alignment are pre determined. Some of the information I've read talks about a 16.5mm overhang being better than the 15mm pre determined measurement.

My question is how do i achieve this and is there a head shell, you might suggest, that fits the AR arm and allows for modifying overhang and tracking?

Keep up the good work guys.