Greetings!

cyberdawg

Greetings!
« on: 5 Apr 2020, 12:54 am »
Hi there, new audio guy here and am interested in learning as much as i can about speaker selection. Happy for any advice!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Greetings!
« Reply #1 on: 5 Apr 2020, 12:57 am »
Welcome  :thumb:
Usually they select a low Qts or a impressive looking driver.

cyberdawg

« Reply #2 on: 5 Apr 2020, 04:28 am »
I heard the ML electrostats and were considering those for the wonderful mid-range. Should I be worried about their efficiency and a need for high wattage?

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 5 Apr 2020, 04:51 am »
It will require a large amp.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 5 Apr 2020, 05:01 am »
Welcome to Audio Circle.  :D

What your budget, room and taste in music like?

toocool4

« Reply #5 on: 5 Apr 2020, 08:10 am »
Welcome to AudioCircle cyberdawg

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 5 Apr 2020, 12:21 pm »
Welcome to AC!

cyberdawg

« Reply #7 on: 5 Apr 2020, 12:25 pm »
Room size for speakers are 10 x 25 right now but it might go into a larger room size later for background music listening. Typically I listen to female vocals like jazz or opera with a smattering of rock and blues. Even though I like Electrostats, I dislike adding subs to round out the bottom end. I'm not sure what budget to expect a pair of speakers to be but new speakers for something like 5 grand are way outta my league. Also floor standers are going to have one speaker placed in a corner. Thanks for the welcome!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #8 on: 5 Apr 2020, 01:50 pm »
Welcome!

Dipole speakers aren't corner friendly or family friendly (positioned out into the room) for just casual listening.  Suggest considering other options.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #9 on: 5 Apr 2020, 04:53 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC cyberdawg   :thumb:

cyberdawg

« Reply #10 on: 6 Apr 2020, 06:32 pm »
Having tested a pair the other day when one speaker was corner place... Dipoles are definitely out now. I'm also considering "bookshelfs" like Elacs and Focals. Any other ones folks can recommend to be tried out? New or classic vintage pieces?

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 6 Apr 2020, 10:23 pm »
If you can find a Sonus Faber Concertino Domus used (2005) I remember it had a very transparent sound, however its 4 ohms and low sensitivity, bass quantity was adequate.

cyberdawg

« Reply #12 on: 7 Apr 2020, 07:51 pm »
If a sub is needed with the Sonus for better bottom-end, any recs for a FAST and non-boomy sub?

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 7 Apr 2020, 08:11 pm »
I will let this suggestion for other members more capable than me, but came to mind a 10'' sub, also there is the floorstanding SF Concerto Domus that dont need a sub for regular music lovers.

Phil A

« Reply #14 on: 7 Apr 2020, 08:24 pm »
If a sub is needed with the Sonus for better bottom-end, any recs for a FAST and non-boomy sub?

You noted the items may go to another room.  When you have an idea as to room placement in whatever room, you may wish to measure from the listening position to see what kind of bass response you are getting (if there is flexibility the speakers and/or listening position that could help).  REW (https://www.roomeqwizard.com/) is free but would be used with a PC and a microphone (the link has suggestions listed under 'equipment').  One can also get an app for their smartphone (https://studiosixdigital.com/audiotools-modules-2/the-audiotools-platform/cyber-monday-sale-pricing.html) and note that the RTA says free for that only.  You would need a calibrated mic for the smartphone (or tablet) such as - https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-imm-6-calibrated-measurement-microphone-for-tablets-iphone-ipad-and-android--390-810

The important thing to note about adding a sub is that bass frequencies will sum in a room.  So you would want something that crosses over below where the main speakers drop off (otherwise the sub and the mains playing the same frequencies will sum and depending on the room characteristics you may get gain in unwanted frequencies).  So I'd see where that is first.  Then there are subs which have flexible crossovers.

cyberdawg

« Reply #15 on: 8 Apr 2020, 01:31 pm »
Phil, most useful. Thanks to you and all, for the great feedback. Will give it a whirl and start the audio adventure!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #16 on: 8 Apr 2020, 02:53 pm »
I'm a fan of active speakers.  About 20 years ago compared Paradigm Studio 20 v.2 ($800/pair, 2-way monitors) versus Paradigm Active 20 ($1600/pair, same drivers/cabinet with the power amps attached).  It was no contest.  The Active 20s were way more dynamic, flatter frequency response, improved imaging, and gobsmackingly deep/full bass and compared favorably to the $2200/pair Paradigm 100 v.2 floor standing speakers.  Passersby couldn't believe the disconnect between what they heard and saw. 

Don't make the mistake of confusing active with powered speakers.  Active designs use a low voltage signal input (like RCA) to more sophisticated crossover which feeds one channel of power amplification to each driver for superior design and performance.  Powered (Audioengine is one example) are simply passive designs with the power amp built into the speaker.  And realize that being active doesn't mean that the crossover/amps have to be built into the cabinet (but it is cheaper).  Bryston is an example of the this external approach.

Studio professionals have used them for decades.  Active monitors are often cheaper and much smaller than comparably performing passives even without including the cost of speaker cables and power amp.  This is due in part to not spending money on larger cabinets, extra shipping costs, and fancy veneers.  A good example is the JBL 305 Mk2 ($300/pair, can be used on desktop or to fill a medium sized room, it provides a very satisfying sound). 

I've heard the JBL 305 Mk2 in my room along with it's big/big brother, the JBL 708P ($4000/pair, large monitors) which I owned for a year.  The 708P's were overall the best speaker I've ever heard/owned, meaning that it did all things very well without being gastly expensive, or huge and didn't overload the room while remaining dynamic and detailed.  Have also owned Dynaudio BM5 Mk3, very comparable to the original JBL 305 (which I had here for a week). 

Most active speakers are designed for the studio, so use XLR (balanced) versus RCA inputs.  But a new breed of actives are being introduced that accept wireless (digital) input.  The Elac Navis ERB-51 in fact accept either wired analog (so you can input phono/tape or use your higher resolution digital sources with the DAC of your choice) or wireless (where the speaker uses it's own DAC).  Note also that many active speakers convert analog input to digital then back to analog, again with their own DAC. 

Recommended analog active monitors (that don't have an on board DAC) include Adam (various models), Dynaudio BM5 Mk3, Genelec 8030C/8040B/8050B, JBL 305 Mk2, and Neumann KH120.  Recommended actives with DAC include the aforementioned Elac, various Genelec monitors (which can get expensive), and JBL 705P/708P.