Greetings from NYC

gBoogie

Greetings from NYC
« on: 3 Apr 2020, 05:33 am »
Hello AudioCircle. I am here as I am interested in building my own speakers with my bare hands my blood sweat and tears. I also am interested in the many aspects of speaker design. I believe that a high quality crossover is a very important part of the overall design. I am looking at GR Research kits primarily as a starting point. But a few other kits from Carmoddy and Bigby also seems great.

Overall I hope I won't be a pest as I pick your brains with questions and advice.

Thanks in advance.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Greetings from NYC
« Reply #1 on: 3 Apr 2020, 05:47 am »
Welcome  :thumb:
Bare hands needs a easy simple project as an OB.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 3 Apr 2020, 01:07 pm »
Welcome to AC!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 3 Apr 2020, 02:28 pm »
Welcome to Audio Circle.  :D

People are pretty generous when it comes to helping on this site so don't worry about asking too many questions. 8)

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 3 Apr 2020, 05:40 pm »
Greetings  & Welcome to AC gBoogie   :thumb:

gBoogie

« Reply #5 on: 6 Apr 2020, 01:01 am »
Thank you all for welcoming me into the tribe. Can't wait to pick everyone's brains.
Where should I start? Are GR Research kits a good starting point? Or should I also be looking at others. If so which others?
I should mention that I also work for a big box retail outfit and can buy speakers on the cheap... I mention this as I also thought about modifying a few speakers as well. What are your thoughts on mods?

SET Man

« Reply #6 on: 6 Apr 2020, 01:45 am »
Hey!

Welcome to AC. Good to see another local NYer here. I'm in Queens here. Well, stay safe man!

Buddy

shakey

« Reply #7 on: 7 Apr 2020, 03:31 pm »
When it's safe to travel again you should take a trip to Sunset Park in Brooklyn and go visit Greg Belman from Bache Audio. Although he builds complete loudspeakers he started as a DIY'er. Maybe he can help you. I'm using the latest version of his Tribeca speaker in my system and absolutely love it. I think the combination of a wide band driver and a very simple crossover is the key to great sound. My Quad 57s and my Audio Physic speakers are collecting dust.

I'm in Long Island. Stay safe in the city.

vanderstephen

« Reply #8 on: 7 Apr 2020, 03:48 pm »
Welcome. Also consider a kit from Selah Audio. They have a circle on this site too. I have built a pair of floorstanders and a center channel from Selah.