Please help a beginner choose a LOMC cartridge

Latenite3

Please help a beginner choose a LOMC cartridge
« on: 28 Mar 2020, 05:52 pm »
My equipment is a VPI Super Prime Scout. McIntosh C2200 and Manley Chinook Mkii. Salk Songtower speakers. I’m currently using a Soundsmith Zypher mark II. I have never heard a m/c cartridge so I’m very inexperienced. What I am looking for is something reasonably priced but enough quality to tell how deep I am willing to dive into this venture. Also, I am not opposed to something preowned. What do y’all think?
Thanks you in advance.

SET Man

Re: Please help a beginner choose a LOMC cartridge
« Reply #1 on: 28 Mar 2020, 09:11 pm »
Hey!

Before you make a move to LOMC, there are a few things to consider.

1. Does you pre or phono stage have MC input? 2. Can you change the cart loading? Some pre or phono stages have loading settings for MC.

If no and your pre or phono stage only can do MM cart than you will likely have to get the right Step Up Transformer (SUT) for your chosen LOMC cart.

There's another way of going MC without much fuss and that's HOMC carts, most have 2.0mV and up enough to be use with MM phono stage. Not the best way to some people. But that's what I've been using for almost 20 years now... well, not the same cart for 20 years. Although, I see most HOMC cart are recommended loading is 47K as in MM phono stage that they will be using with. Still, I find that loading it down to a proper loading is essential. But most if not all MM phono stages don't allow loading change. I have no problem since I'm a DIYer so I just pop open my pre and change the loading myself. There's a way to do it without opening up your pre, I remembered seen a parallel loading kit that you can plug you cart in it and than into your pre, or you can rig one up yourself if you are handy with soldering iron.

Anyway, I haven't heard any MM cart in my system for sometime now. But over the years I think MM carts have improved. Still MC cart is worth checking out. Well, good luck and I'm sure other with more experience in LOMC can jump in and help you with more info.

Buddy

bajaed

« Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2020, 09:57 pm »
Your phono stage can handle a lo output mc. I would look at the following based on budget:
Audio-Technica OC9 MK II about $300
Audio-Technica OC9 MK III about $500
Hana SL about $650
Audio-Technica Art9 about $960 (my dream cart)
Hana ML about $1,200
Kiseki Blue about $2,000
Kiseki Purple Heart about $3,000. If you want to go real big, it's supposed to be one of the ultimate VPI carts in the opinion of VPI.

You could also look for slightly use models of these for a fair amount less.  Others may know if any of these are not a good match for your arm.

Latenite3

« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2020, 10:11 pm »

Thanks for the excellent information. Yes I think that I have plenty flexibility with the Manley. I have been trying to research the Audio-Technica AT-OC9 ML/II. Is it in a decent quality range to get an idea what a moving coil sounds like in comparison to my MM cartridge? The A/T Art9 sounds interesting. I am going to research this one.
Thanks

bajaed

« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2020, 10:29 pm »
The Art9 is said by many to be about the best out there under $2,000-$3,000. Outstanding if it a good match with your arm. The OC9 II or III are also very well respected.

I must disclose that I have not heard any of these carts but they all have lots of great reviews by writers and owners.

Sarmck

« Reply #5 on: 28 Mar 2020, 11:09 pm »
You might also look into the Yamamoto Sound Craft YC-03s Moving Coil. Heard it in a friends system several years back and I was quite impressed. Highly recommended to me. It’s on the top of the list when I decide to purchase a cartridge. I’ve already exceeded my audio budget for this year with a few other purchases but this is the next item, I hope....lol!!!

Review of the Yamamoto MC cart:

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1009/yamamoto_yc03s.htm

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2020, 12:32 am »
My first MC was a Dynavector 10x5.  Next was a Sumiko Blackbird, then an Ortofon Quintet blue, then Dynavector 20x2L.  They are all good, some better in areas than others.  Find a deal on a used one or a broken one to be retipped. 

Latenite3

« Reply #7 on: 1 Apr 2020, 12:53 am »
Thank you all for your collective experienced recommendations. I purchased the Audio-Technica Art 9. Should be here this week. I am going to start with the recommended settings and adjust from there. I know they recommend 100 ohms. Is there a capacitance recommendation? I am set on 50pf? now. Any and all suggestions are happily welcomed.
Regards
Ed

sunnydaze

« Reply #8 on: 25 Jan 2021, 07:41 pm »
Super late reply....... :icon_lol:

It's my understanding that MC carts are not effected by capacitance loading, only resistive loading.  MM carts are effected by capacitance.

twitch54

« Reply #9 on: 25 Jan 2021, 08:13 pm »
Wonder how Latenight is making out with his new cartridge ?

BobM

« Reply #10 on: 25 Jan 2021, 10:17 pm »
Oh boy. MC cartridges are a rabbit hole that people like us (obsessive compulsive audiophiles) can find ourselves down very easily. I(n my experience I found that HOMC's can sound as good or better than the best moving magnet cartridges out there. However, less expensive LOMC's fall roughly into the same ballpark. But once you go up past the $1000 point it becomes a matter of  dealing with a racecar and that means being ultra precise on cartridge setup and loading. Yes, be ultra finicky, but get it right and you will be blown away, then it's just a matter of flavor and how deep your pockets are.

I've had good experiences buying used LOMC's from fellow audiophiles and paid roughly half the retail price doing that. Of course, there's always the possibility of getting  one with a problem, especially true with something as delicate as these are. But then, most people in our hobby seem to be stand up people, as long as you find one with a good track record of buying and selling you should be OK.

Good luck with your search.

toocool4

« Reply #11 on: 25 Jan 2021, 11:03 pm »
I know you have already bought a new cartridge but for the next time the best advice I can give you is, find a dealer that you can go and listen to a few cartridges that way your ears will tell you what you need to know that is what I do. I don't buy anything without listening first.

twitch54

« Reply #12 on: 26 Jan 2021, 12:59 am »
Oh boy. MC cartridges are a rabbit hole that people like us (obsessive compulsive audiophiles) can find ourselves down very easily. I(n my experience I found that HOMC's can sound as good or better than the best moving magnet cartridges out there. However, less expensive LOMC's fall roughly into the same ballpark. But once you go up past the $1000 point it becomes a matter of  dealing with a racecar and that means being ultra precise on cartridge setup and loading. Yes, be ultra finicky, but get it right and you will be blown away, then it's just a matter of flavor and how deep your pockets are.

I've had good experiences buying used LOMC's from fellow audiophiles and paid roughly half the retail price doing that. Of course, there's always the possibility of getting  one with a problem, especially true with something as delicate as these are. But then, most people in our hobby seem to be stand up people, as long as you find one with a good track record of buying and selling you should be OK.

Good luck with your search.

hey Bobby, the Op made his choice months ago, just trying to find out what his thoughts are ..........

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #13 on: 26 Jan 2021, 01:06 am »
... find a dealer ...
I'm guessing you're from either CA or back East.  Dealers for many of us just isn't an option. I'd have to drive about 600 miles round trip to find a dealer that could compare three decent cartridges. 

TABARD

• TemaadAudio
« Reply #14 on: 9 Jan 2022, 05:02 am »
Hi, Before you shell out BIG BUCKS on a new cartridge. Make sure that the arm & cart are a matck. I use the Korf compliance calculator
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwidjpHH8aP1AhW5TmwGHeTSDrwQFnoECAMQAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fkorfaudio.com%2Fcalculator&usg=AOvVaw3TZBwCCUJnkZylN5_xdzus

And remember the compliance of Japanese cart should be multiplied by 1.4 to get the same as the Euro/US standard.

Cheers

dB Cooper

« Reply #15 on: 9 Jan 2022, 03:04 pm »
Hi, Before you shell out BIG BUCKS on a new cartridge. Make sure that the arm & cart are a match.

The importance of this can hardly be overstated. Cart/arm/TT form one system with multiple (hopefully) tuned resonances and the interactions- especially between arm and cart- have a definite effect on the performance and sound signature. I don't 'spin' anymore but I see many systems at shows that are obviously not good matches. If you see the woofers flopping back and forth like a freshly boated fish even between tracks- as I have- you know there is a problem. Don't rely too heavily on your listening impressions in such a situation.

It surprises me that any dealer would show up with a really badly matched system, but it's commonplace. The demo I'm thinking about, the host brushed my inquiry off with "worry, these woofers can handle it." That wasn't the point. The point was, what is going on in your vacuum tube phono stage and well-regarded mini monitors as they are puking their guts out trying to deliver high levels of infrasonic information.The preamp in used did have a 'subsonic filter' switch. I started to turn it on to see what happened but decided if the exhibitor didn't care how well their system was working, why should I.

twitch54

« Reply #16 on: 9 Jan 2022, 03:15 pm »
Hi, Before you shell out BIG BUCKS on a new cartridge. Make sure that the arm & cart are a matck. I use the Korf compliance calculator
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwidjpHH8aP1AhW5TmwGHeTSDrwQFnoECAMQAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fkorfaudio.com%2Fcalculator&usg=AOvVaw3TZBwCCUJnkZylN5_xdzus

And remember the compliance of Japanese cart should be multiplied by 1.4 to get the same as the Euro/US standard.

Cheers

Good post !!  :thumb:

Harri

« Reply #17 on: 24 Jan 2022, 11:40 am »
Thanks for the advice because we can end up spending money and nothing will do.