Squeezebox Touch with External SSD

fado

Squeezebox Touch with External SSD
« on: 27 Mar 2020, 09:26 pm »
I can play files from a USB flashdrive but I cannot get anything to play using the USB connection from my external SSD. Should I be able to do this if I adjust the settings on the Squeezebox?

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
Re: Squeezebox Touch with External SSD
« Reply #1 on: 27 Mar 2020, 10:51 pm »
That would be a NO.  I think it has something to do with power for the SSD?  Can you power the SSD with a alternate source, I do not know. Another question would be of powered down do you need to scan and build the database each time?  For all its early glory technology has moved leaps since.  I still use my Squeezebox for system B and C.

Alan

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2020, 01:43 pm »
Been a long while since I had my Squeezebox Touch.  Many devices can only handle limited power draw on the USB port and also many may have a limit on the size of the drive (e.g. something like an Oppo 93, 95 or 103 or 105 could only handle 2TB from memory.  A powered drive may work on some things since the port's power handling limiations won't be in play. 

Phil A

fado

« Reply #4 on: 28 Mar 2020, 04:20 pm »
Thanks for the link; it looks promising. My SSD external drives are powered. I will work on the solutions suggested. Thanks

Lefty052347

• AVA Associate
« Reply #5 on: 28 Mar 2020, 04:21 pm »
Both USB and SD ports are limited to 32 Gigs.  Although I have used a 32 gig usb flash drive, it actually wants the usb drive to be self powered.

Regards,

Dean