Hello from NorCal

nreeque

• Room 19x17+ W4S Stp-SE/ST-500 SOTM TRI GE Triton7
Hello from NorCal
« on: 26 Mar 2020, 07:12 am »
Hi everyone. I’m Rick currently in the Bay Area. I’ve lurked around these forums for a while absorbing info. But recently have taken a serious interest in upgrading so I’ll probably be more active around here.

Thanks

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Hello from NorCal
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2020, 07:28 am »
Welcome Rick :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2020, 12:44 pm »
Welcome!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 26 Mar 2020, 03:06 pm »
Welcome!

The easiest way to upgrade is to go with active speakers.

morganc

« Reply #4 on: 26 Mar 2020, 03:47 pm »
Welcome
« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2020, 11:14 am by morganc »

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 26 Mar 2020, 08:22 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Rick   :thumb:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #6 on: 28 Mar 2020, 03:47 am »
Welcome to Audio Circle.  :D

nreeque

« Reply #7 on: 10 Apr 2020, 02:05 am »
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I’m still lagging behind forum posts. Have a full house that requires attention.

@jlm active you say ?

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #8 on: 10 Apr 2020, 04:00 pm »
Yep, active.  Active speakers get AC power from the wall and use a low voltage input analog or digital input to feed the crossover (typically much more sophisticated than found in passive speakers) which in turn feeds one channel of amplification per driver.  The design, cost, and sonic advantages are undeniable.  Warning - not the product if you're a flipper or want to show off your gear. 

20 years ago compared Paradigm Studio 20 v.2 ($800/pair 2-way monitors) against Paradigm Active 20 ($1600/pair, same drivers/cabinet).  It was no contest.  The Active 20s were way more dynamic, had flatter frequency response (a revelation in itself), offered more detail and improved imaging, and exhibited mind bendingly deep/full bass.  Passersby thought we were listening to the Studio 100 v.2 ($2200 4-way floor standers).  That was my introduction to actives. 

Nowadays actives come in a variety of configurations:  simple analog input (use your preamp, turntable, CDP, and/or computer/DAC) usually with built-in crossover/amps; wired digital input (often found in studio settings, using built-in DAC of honestly questionably credentials); wireless digital input (usually via a transmitter box with formats limited to 24/192 PCM).  Some even include digital room correction and other digital features.

Examples include JBL 305 Mk2 ($300/pair, XLR analog input); Dynaudio BM5 Mk3 ($1000/pair street price; RCA and XLR analog inputs); Neumann KH120 ($1400/pair, XLR analog input); Elac Navis ARB-51 ($2300/pair, RCA and XLR analog inputs, extra cost wireless digital input); Buchardt A500 ($3830/pair, XLR analog input, extra cost wireless digital input with additional features); Genelec 8050B ($3790/pair, XLR analog input); and on and on. 

nreeque

« Reply #9 on: 30 Apr 2020, 11:19 pm »
Oh... I'm familiar with active speakers and how they operate. I've spent some years across tv production desks. But to me actives till very recent (marketing efforts by certain companies) have always been a studio standard or perhaps a mid-fi lifestyle choice product. So outside of the studio environment and or the mid-FI lifestyle choices. Do you recommend anything specific worth auditioning? say circa $10K and under? tell me more about your personal experiences with actives.

Personally I've heard the LS50W and I thought they where ok (yes just OK) but proprietary sound networks (software) are not really for me. I just feel weird being tied into a manufacturers idea of one size fits all. I might be too picky. It's all apps now a days anyhow.