Cartridge Help

deuter

Cartridge Help
« on: 21 Mar 2020, 08:38 pm »
My Dynavector DV-xx2 mk2 s missing the cantilever and stylus, a turntable cleaning accident.

https://www.dynavector.com/products/cart/e_xx2mk2.html

Would like to know what other cartridges I can explore in that price range. About $2k US

I loved the xx2 for its transparency and bass, with very good imaging and soundstage, I believe its strongest feature was its music detail retrieval and bass energy.

Please advise on what you might find in a similar or cheaper price range that might suit my requirements.

Also my tonearm is an opera consonance T1288, see details for cartridge compatibility.

http://www.opera-consonance.com/products/tonearm/T988_T1288.htm

Thanks Guys.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
Re: Cartridge Help
« Reply #1 on: 21 Mar 2020, 09:07 pm »
Why not retip it?  You can make it as good a new for around $300.  I've rebuilt two Dynavector 20x2L cartridges and been extremely happy with the results.

deuter

« Reply #2 on: 21 Mar 2020, 09:09 pm »
Why not retip it?  You can make it as good a new for around $300.  I've rebuilt two Dynavector 20x2L cartridges and been extremely happy with the results.

Not sure anyone locally does it, I'am in Australia.

S Clark

« Reply #3 on: 21 Mar 2020, 09:26 pm »
Not sure anyone locally does it, I'am in Australia.
I have no first hand knowledge, but you can do further research...

"Garrott Bros. are Australian based and also mfr MC carts. They're well known for modifying DECCA carts back in the day. I owned one of their modded carts but not used their rebuild/retip service
https://garrottbrothers.com/repairs-retipping
Ken Kessler on Garrott: https://www.kenkessler.com/hi-fi/gar...cca-cartridge/"

sunnydaze

« Reply #4 on: 21 Mar 2020, 09:41 pm »
I have that same exact XX2 cartridge and if it were me, I'd get it retipped.  For a few hundred bux it's the cheapest way to replace the sound you have right now, maybe even exceed it?    :dunno:

This list of retippers will get you started:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=168353.msg1784837#msg1784837

I can highly recommend Peter Ledermann at SoundSmith as I have personally owned several of his retips:  Dynavector, Denon, Shelter, Cartridge Man, Clearaudio.

I also hear great things about the work of Andy Kim at the Needle Clinic and Steve Leung at VAS.   Based on those reports I would not hesitate to use either.

Don't see why being in Australia is an impediment.  Just use Global Mail.  It is reliable and reasonable cost.

Good Luck whatever you do.

S Clark

« Reply #5 on: 21 Mar 2020, 10:11 pm »
I have that same exact XX2 cartridge and if it were me, I'd get it retipped.  For a few hundred bux it's the cheapest way to replace the sound you have right now, maybe even exceed it?    :dunno:

This list of retippers will get you started:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=168353.msg1784837#msg1784837

I can highly recommend Peter Ledermann at SoundSmith as I have personally owned several of his retips:  Dynavector, Denon, Shelter, Cartridge Man, Clearaudio.

I also hear great things about the work of Andy Kim at the Needle Clinic and Steve Leung at VAS.   Based on those reports I would not hesitate to use either.

Don't see why being in Australia is an impediment.  Just use Global Mail.  It is reliable and reasonable cost.

Good Luck whatever you do.

I can personally recommend  VAS (Steve Leung) as well as Soundsmith (Lederman).  Steve has a quicker turnaround time.

deuter

« Reply #6 on: 21 Mar 2020, 10:24 pm »
Thanks All,  I will reach out to the recommended retippers.

xsb7244

« Reply #7 on: 21 Mar 2020, 10:36 pm »
see the Audiogon Forum thread VAS (Steven Leung) cartridge repair/retipping service?

deuter

« Reply #8 on: 22 Mar 2020, 12:24 am »
Thanks All, I have sent retipping enquiries to them all, lets see what they come back with.

shawnwes

« Reply #9 on: 24 Jan 2021, 03:09 pm »
Old thread I know but was just wondering who you finally went with and if you were happy with the results. I have a Dynavector that needs attending to.

/mp

« Reply #10 on: 24 Jan 2021, 05:38 pm »
My Dynavector DV-xx2 mk2 s missing the cantilever and stylus, a turntable cleaning accident.

Excrement happens.

Would like to know what other cartridges I can explore in that price range. About $2k US

I loved the xx2 for its transparency and bass, with very good imaging and soundstage, I believe its strongest feature was its music detail retrieval and bass energy.

Retipping is the price sensitive route to follow as you seem happy with xx2. Alternatively, US$2K buys a lot of cartridge. Cartridges, after speakers, have the most variation of sound IMO. Reading others' opinions only goes so far. What's right for each individual is a personal decision. One must listen for oneself.

As always, YMMV,

sunnydaze

« Reply #11 on: 24 Jan 2021, 06:16 pm »
Old thread I know but was just wondering who you finally went with and if you were happy with the results. I have a Dynavector that needs attending to.

OP hasn't been active on here for 6 mos......don't hold your breath!     :lol:

nature boy

« Reply #12 on: 24 Jan 2021, 06:25 pm »
I had Steve Leung (VAS) retip my Dyna 20X2 low output cart last year. He did a great job and it sounded better than the new stock cartridge. Turned it around in two weeks.

NB

S Clark

« Reply #13 on: 24 Jan 2021, 06:53 pm »
I had Steve Leung (VAS) retip my Dyna 20X2 low output cart last year. He did a great job and it sounded better than the new stock cartridge. Turned it around in two weeks.

NB
Nature Boy's recommendation is why I used Steve, and I'm very happy with the work, the price, and the turnaround.