NEW Member :)

icermad

NEW Member :)
« on: 21 Mar 2020, 11:25 am »
Hello, I've been into HIFI for Less than a year.. Looking forward to learning more from you guys!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: NEW Member :)
« Reply #1 on: 21 Mar 2020, 12:42 pm »
Welcome  :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 21 Mar 2020, 01:48 pm »
Welcome!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 21 Mar 2020, 02:35 pm »
Welcome!

Been into audio for ~50 years.  My first "system" was my mom's old AM radio and a $30 portable cassette deck.  There's never been a better time to get into audio with online streaming bringing access to millions of CD quality albums for just a few dollars per month, active speakers (with their design and sonic superiority over traditional passive speakers) finally being accepted by consumers, and technology making electronics affordable and compact. 

If I was starting over I'd seriously consider a streaming service like Qobuz, $1650 NAD C658 (a "Node 2i on steroids"), a pair of XLR cables, and a $300/pair JBL 305 MkII active speakers and call it a day.  The C658 acts as streamer (supporting Spotify, Amazon HD, Tidal, Qobuz, internet radio); DAC (ESS Sabre 32 chip supporting up to 32/192 PCM); preamp (including phono input); wired and wireless headphone outputs; has the <500 Hz version of Dirac Live; and two future expansion slots.  No computer or extra software needed, but can be controlled via remote, smartphone, or computer.  The JBL's can work on a desktop or fill a medium sized room and is an unbelievable value with wonderful sound.  Both companies have long histories and deep manufacturing/R&D resources.   

Of course the $550 NAD Node 2i will save a bunch of money, but you give up lots of features, your choice.  The Node 2i plus 305 MkII would also fit into the Audio Circle Cheap and Cheerful circle's system pricing guidelines.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 21 Mar 2020, 02:37 pm »
Welcome to Audio Circle.  :D

This is truly a wonderful (and most unappreciated) hobby.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 21 Mar 2020, 02:55 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC icer   :thumb: