Hello From Ireland

StandardModel

Hello From Ireland
« on: 21 Mar 2020, 10:53 am »
I'm a retired Electrical Engineer- Patent Attorney. Because of my background, i love electronics of all kinds. I started out building crystal radios, went on to become a ham radio operator at twelve and then found Heathkits and progressed from there. I'm hooked on audio!
These days I spend half time in Ireland.
I'm looking for an audio project to build. Class D amplifiers look doable but I read that they are somewhat brittle sounding.  Tubes always had a nice warm sound (read distortion).

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Hello From Ireland
« Reply #1 on: 21 Mar 2020, 11:01 am »
Welcome :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 21 Mar 2020, 11:35 am »
Welcome!

Try to audition various amps.  Personally I don't want everything to sound the same (brittle or warm).  Class D has progressed greatly in a short time.  I've owned 3 Class D and each better than it's predecessor.  Also recommend:

- Focusing on the room, read Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" 3rd edition which is the consummate audiophile primer to learn how speakers behave in-room.  His theories will push you towards use of carefully placed multiple subs.

- Next priority should be speakers.  In that regard highly suggest active designs for their superior design premises and sonics (dynamics, flat frequency response, imaging, and deep/full bass).  Another very modern design aspect is controlled directivity.  But avoid "digital" active designs that include a DAC (locking you into a typically mediocre DAC).

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 21 Mar 2020, 01:49 pm »
Welcome to AC!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 21 Mar 2020, 02:46 pm »
Class D amplifiers look doable but I read that they are somewhat brittle sounding.  Tubes always had a nice warm sound (read distortion).

Welcome to Audio Circle.  :D

My Class D amps do not sound brittle at all. Over the years I have owned many fine tube amps but they all sound like tube amps. My Class D amps don’t sound like amps be it tube/SS. For that reason I will never own another tube amp.  :D :D

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 21 Mar 2020, 02:54 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Std   :thumb:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #6 on: 21 Mar 2020, 05:51 pm »
I'm a retired Electrical Engineer- Patent Attorney. Because of my background, i love electronics of all kinds. I started out building crystal radios, went on to become a ham radio operator at twelve and then found Heathkits and progressed from there. I'm hooked on audio!
These days I spend half time in Ireland.
I'm looking for an audio project to build. Class D amplifiers look doable but I read that they are somewhat brittle sounding.  Tubes always had a nice warm sound (read distortion).

Depends on which Class "D" one chooses. I like Hybrid with NO OEM modules. Tubed input class "D" output. Not a dealer of such.

charles
« Last Edit: 21 Mar 2020, 07:08 pm by rollo »

dwmaggie

• First memory of music was parents Zenith portable.
« Reply #7 on: 21 Mar 2020, 06:41 pm »
Emerald Isle, welcome to an amazing site.  Check Digital Amplifier Company for a lot of good class D info.  Tommy engineered his own class D electronics, not the current modules available on the internet.  How good are they, I run Magnepans.  The Dig Amp Co allows my Maggies to sing, well, not really, they are the best match I have ever tried.  Just paid for my third one.  They are just so much better than all of the class A/Bs I have tried, including a 70wpc tube amp.  This a fun place to read and research, especially compared to other sites.  I listen most of the time at very low levels...everything gets reproduced just as the source intended.  And yes, they sound great at loud listening levels.