Relayer

« on: 16 Mar 2020, 05:54 pm »
Hello, I have visited many times over the last few years but never registered. I have been a tinkerer since about age 10 and audio has been a constant in my life all this time. I'm now retired and the main brunt of my tinkering nowadays is my car, computer and my audio systems. I've rebuilt a few speakers with good results and a 12" 3-way is in my near future. I am patiently looking over mid-ranges and tweeters when the mood strikes, no hurry. I totally stink at enclosure finishing and so far have stuck with existing speakers that I have updated and improved.
I look forward to discovering new ideas and friends.

Blackmore

Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: 16 Mar 2020, 08:44 pm »
Welcome to Audiocircle

Wind Chaser

« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2020, 09:20 pm »
Welcome to Audio Circle.  :D

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2020, 11:05 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Relayer    :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 17 Mar 2020, 12:50 am »
Welcome  :thumb:
Nice to have a DIYer omm board.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 17 Mar 2020, 12:44 pm »
Welcome!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 17 Mar 2020, 03:15 pm »
Welcome!

You're invited to explore the world of Floyd Toole, Earl Geddes, Duke LeJeune, etc.  who are leading the world in domestic speaker design.  They each place lots of importance on the room.  Toole's "Sound Reproduction" is the consummate audiophile guide for learning how speakers behave in-room.  Earl designed some of the first controlled directivity speakers that use professional (low distortion) drivers.  And Duke has continued Earl's work (see AudioKinesis.com, also here at Audio Circle). 

The only thing missing in Duke's speakers is active design (low voltage signal feeding a much more sophisticated crossover which feeds individual channels of power amplification to each driver) that produces a technically and sonically superior sound. 

Each of the above guys support the use of 3 or 4 carefully placed subs to help limit inherent bass peaks/dips.  Better than treatments which may not be feasible or DSP room correction which can only address frequency balance in a single location.