Introduction

taperpowell

Introduction
« on: 12 Mar 2020, 07:36 pm »
Hello.  I'm interested in lots of different kinds of music, learning repair, building my own amp someday, speakers, classic late 70's gear, open reel tape, tubes, vintage consoles, cartridge tape, quadraphonics, and talking freely with other people who understand the bizarre audiophile affliction.

Phil A

Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2020, 08:37 pm »
Welcome!

Blackmore

« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2020, 09:13 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2020, 09:20 pm »
...the bizarre audiophile affliction.

Ain't that the truth!  :D :D

Welcome to Audio Circle.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 13 Mar 2020, 12:47 am »
Welcome :thumb:

taperpowell

« Reply #5 on: 14 Mar 2020, 05:59 am »
Thanks for all the welcomes.  According to the terms, I need to make two more approved posts.  Maybe this one will count...

One of the odd projects that has come my way is a pair of 2-way Knight KN2360 speakers with unbranded, but clearly JBL-manufactured drivers.  No JBL labels, but tweeters that look like LE20-1, PR-10 passive radiators (such as were used in JBL Lancer 77's), and 123-1 woofers.  All of it works, except for one of the tweeters.  They have to be between 40 and 50 years old.  The crossover looks like a resistor between the L-pad and the tweeter.  Crossovers may need help due to age, but I don't know how to tell.  Except for the passive radiator instead of a port, I've been given to believe the speaker most similar in the official JBL line would have been Lancer L-88 (not Nova 88, with the fancy contemporary grilles).  The 88's apparently used the same drivers.  These have linen fabric grilles, very dirty and dingy now but must have been closer to white originally; they look almost like classic AR speakers until you get close enough to realize they aren't.

Questions:  Is this even the right place to bring this up, or should I have started a thread in another area?  Are these worth messing with, even just for the experience, or would I do as well to just part out the other working drivers?  How does one test a capacitor or determine what value to use to achieve a certain known crossover point (in this case, 2000 Hz)?  I've done enough reading to know that I only know enough to be dangerous; the more I read, so far I still only gather more questions than answers.  I suspect (or at least hope) that somewhere further down the road comes a tipping point at which you begin to know at least a little about what you're doing and why.

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 14 Mar 2020, 06:16 am »
For better response you could post this your second post in the Lab Circle>
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=20.0

How does one test a capacitor or determine what value to use to achieve a certain known crossover point (in this case, 2000 Hz)?
You can simulate xovers here:
http://www.erseaudio.com/CrossoverCalculators

I've done enough reading to know that I only know enough to be dangerous; the more I read, so far I still only gather more questions than answers.  I suspect (or at least hope) that somewhere further down the road comes a tipping point at which you begin to know at least a little about what you're doing and why.
Audiophiles with small rooms are greatly blessed today with these wonderful FR drivers avaliable from Audio Nirvana or Lii F15 etc at resonable prices which will allow get rid from xovers, zobel, noth filters etc and listen the full harmonic content direct from the amp.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 14 Mar 2020, 07:05 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC taperp   :thumb: