Simple server interface box - Who makes it? Blue Tooth not Wifi or both.

undertow

Who makes this -

1 - Simple Music server with an APP you can control by "Blue Tooth" connection on a tablet, not Wifi.

2 - Supports REPLAY GAIN to normalize volume from file to file.

3 - Has a USB to directly access files off a SSD not over network, not streaming, but it can stream just has to do direct access to files.

4 - DAC outputs, likely any built in DAC would be Cheesy.

- So far the closest, but still not really best option is a Raspberry Pi with Blue Tooth version, and top hat digital card.

I know this won't be the best in quality or simple enough because literally all this thing has to do is read the Music files directly off a simple formatted hard drive, give a graphic interface via bluetooth to a tablet, and output a high quality digital signal to a DAC while being able to process Replay Gain for volume correction. Prefer not to have a boot up device, and definitely am not looking to purchase a 4000 dollar Mcintosh server, or Auralic device which I am sure solves a lot of this.

It would seem there should be a hundred of these boxes out there for cheap as there is very little to it. I really am not looking for a mini pc such as the Raspberry, but might be forced if this simple design is not really available.

Also, power supplies are likely wall warts on all this stuff, but preferred to have a linear power supply.

JDoyle

Post this in the Salk circle, Jim’s Salkstreamer might be the ticket... I’m not sure about the Bluetooth tho.

JD

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Roon on a dedicated music server will do those things.  Do you already have a music server set up (like if you've ripped CDs and are using a pc or laptop to send them to your DAC).  If so, simply load Roon to your server (it's just software), and then plug one of these $130 beauties into your system and you have full bluetooth streaming (iFi Zen Blue):

mcgsxr

I feel point 1 is the hardest to sort.

I’m not aware of any that you can control by Bluetooth.  Share music via Bluetooth is simple.  Control is much rarer. 

undertow

Yeah I figured its a pink unicorn, because it is very strange after a decade or more with multiple devices capable of doing this on the "Non-High end" side that nobody has come up with an all in one solution. Plus you would figure with the re-emergence of the massive audio shows everywhere using digital audio demonstrations they would have come up with a direct Blue Tooth solution vs. having to tap into all these hotels Wifi just to connect the app to the device.

Well lets dump the Blue Tooth ...

How about Point 2? This seems nearly impossible as well without programming a PC of some type.

Even if it is NOT Replay Gain what other standards are there that will accomplish this feature?

I would assume at this point many users have asked enough to have volume normalization across all albums in standard interfaces.

I know with Replay Gain it is a layer added to the metadata which is normally by DBpoweramp in order to decode it. Problem is what plays this and lets you control Replay Gain?

Seems very little info on this out there.

I Believe the Volumio OS for the Raspberry Pi does this, but I have not even found that information in a long time.

Vincent Kars

• The Well Tempered Computer
    • The Well Tempered Computer
having to tap into all these hotels Wifi just to connect the app to the device.
Have a look at WiFI Direct.
Bluetooth has never been designed to be used as a control point.

Wouldn't be surprised if point 2 is covered by almost any "mp3" player.
Replay gain is simply a tag.
Almost any media player can analyze the audio and populate it.
Most of the time you can even choose between normalizing at track or at album level.

"Replay Gain" is a bit dated. Today a lot of implementations use R 128 https://tech.ebu.ch/loudness

undertow

Replay Gain in new versions use "R 128"

Not concerned, but the player has to read the tag. Not sure how many do is the problem. I know like you said OLD freeware such as Foobar or something does not sure about the rest.

Yes it is a tag, but you have to have a software that can decode that, just like "Gapless" playback if the software can't be set to use it then it is useless. Not everything can read gapless playback either.
« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2020, 05:25 pm by undertow »

WGH

Take a look at the Nativ Vita Music Server
https://www.nativsound.com/en/music-server

I did a quick read and didn't see anything about Replay Gain but that doesn't mean that function isn't available, the server does everything else except walk the dog and get you a drink.

Touch screen with infrared remote, smart phone, bluetooth
Linear power supply
Plenty of inputs and outputs
Plays: WAV, AIFF, Apple Lossless Audio Codec (ALAC), FLAC, AAC (M4A), MP3, OGG Vorbis. DSD64, DSD128, DSD256 and DXD
44.1 to 384 KHz at 16-, 24- and 32-bit resolutions
Gapless playback

6 Moons Review: https://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/nativ/1.html

undertow

WGH,

I have looked at these a couple years ago. Nice package. Yeah not 100% if it has any type of volume normalizing software.

Pretty sure these are back in the well over 1000 range.

mitch stl

My only comment concerns the Raspberry Pi players. I have two of them. One of them has a HiFiBerry DAC and the other has a HiFiBerry Digi+Pro HAT that feeds my Bel Canto DAC & Amp. The sound quality of both is excellent.

The RPi boards can't be too bad. I understand that Bryston and Pro-ject use them as the basis for their streamers.

undertow

mitch stl,

Oh don't get me wrong I know the Pi is a pretty solid device.

My only concerns are -

A - Forced to build out a linear power supply for them, and I think you need 2 / 5 volt to feed the Digital Pro for clean side and dirty side for the Pi. Possibly you can feed the HiFi Berry DAC with a separated supply like the Digital Pro, but again very little clear information on how all this was designed. Not sure the amperage draw either from each device to get the correct linear supply setup for optimal performance.

B - I don't know how this thing even shuts down? You can't put a standard button or anything on it, I believe inside the app it might give you an option.

C - I can't seem to verify if Volumio OS even can do Replay Gain as I believe I read somewhere at a point it can, but very little info for this.

- Let me ask you how do you feel about the HiFi Berry DAC vs. the Digi+ Pro going to an outboard DAC?

- Also, with the Hifi Berry DAC can you control volume control with the software? Otherwise you have to use an external DAC with a volume capability.

mitch stl

I use the standard RPi 2.5 amp power supply and have no problems. There is no background noise and I've not spotted any interference or distortions that I feel need to be addressed in my system.

I also don't worry about turning them off. Many computer based electronics don't really turn off these days, even when they have an off button. My Squeezebox Touch, for example, shows a digital clock when it is powered off, but not unplugged.

I can't help with Volumio. I tried it but wasn't impressed. It had a lot of problems indexing my music collection. Neither LMS or Roon had that issue. The program seemed to be more about graphical flash than solid performance. But, that's just my experience. I've read elsewhere that others really like it.

As for the HiFiBerry HATs, I really like them. Their DAC is very good -- much better than one would expect. I would say the Digi+Pro board is ever so slightly better, but I wouldn't have any problem living with the DAC if that was my only option. Then again, that comes with a caveat. While I enjoy well reproduced music, I don't call myself an audiophile. That word has way too much puffery and baggage attached to it for me.

Finally, I control the volume on the HiFiBerry players with the music control program. I'm in a Roon trial right now and it handles the volume just fine. Previously, I used LMS and it also used software volume control. Both programs offer a fixed level output option if you choose to control your playback volume with the amp, preamp or external DAC.

undertow

Do LMS or Roon support Replay Gain?
The other issue is I don't need a subscription because I am not streaming anything. Its all hard drive based.
« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2020, 09:37 pm by undertow »

mitch stl

Yes, both programs support automatic volume leveling.

undertow

Okay nice.

Did you have to do anything specific to tag all the FLAC files to utilize this feature?

Or it levels all albums and tracks on its own?

Is there a setting to turn the feature on and off for Volume normalization?

Do you use this feature and is it effective?

LMS is that a subscription or freeware? I know Roon is some type of service not looking for that.

mcgsxr

Logitech Media Server is freeware.

I’m running Picore as my player.  But I control it using iPeng on an iOS device by wifi. 

I don’t use Bluetooth on my Pi but it has that capability.

mitch stl

Confirming mcgsxr's response. LMS is free, community supported software with a ton of plug-ins of all stripes available. I've used it for many years, dating back to before Logitech bought Slimdevices. I'm on the Roon free trial right now just to see if its extra features are worth the subscription price.

Volume leveling can be turned on & off in both LMS and Roon. Have to say I've never used the feature, but Ive heard it is nice to use when playing background music for parties and the like and you don't want volume surprises. I know Flac supports it, but don't have any details for you. I'm assuming most files are ripped to automatically include the tags, but you'll have to check that out yourself.

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
1. I am no expert  at this but I did help a friend rip his CD Collection.

As I recall we played with Volume Leveling for his interest.  I believe it has to be done at the time of ripping as it creates a TAG.  I found it all to tedious for my personal use.   

He actually ended up turning it off and using the volume on the Smart device.

Alan