OH H Frames up and Running

Bioman

OH H Frames up and Running
« on: 9 Mar 2020, 12:18 pm »
The good news is no Blue Smoke!
The current setup is shown for the basic blue smoke test.
Now I need to set these up for best sound but not sure where to start.  The Rythmik site has a rather complicated "Subwoofer Phase Alignment Guide" that requires an awareness of your main speaker's Phase shift to allow for a calculation to determine the setting for the Delay/Phase control on the plate amps.
A few points worth noting.  NX-Treme flat packs coming in the near future, so all of this is temporary.  This is to allow the burn-in of the OB-H until then.  Running LS-9 at full range which is less than optimal with the OB=H. 
Any suggestions on where to start.  Are my subs even in the correct position for a starting point?
P.S. - Can OB-H frames be closer to LS-9's and work properly?  The walkway is becoming too restricted and the wife won't ignore this for too long :).

Danny Richie

Re: OH H Frames up and Running
« Reply #1 on: 9 Mar 2020, 07:51 pm »
To blend them to the LS-9's I would turn the crossover dial up to about 50Hz.

Adjust the gain so that they are playing plenty loud compared to the LS-9's. Just get them close.

Next listen to them with the phase at 0 and at 180 degrees. One should cause a pretty good bass peak and the other a pretty good bass dip.

Go with the setting that gives you the bass peak. That will be your starting point.

Now turn the crossover dial all the way down to 25Hz and adjust the volume as needed.

Bioman

« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2020, 07:58 pm »
Worked through the process.  It does not seem to take much volume to match the LS-9; around 10 o-clock in my case.

The sound improvement is quickly obvious and is a standout in particular on any well-done percussion pieces, much more realistic in terms of speed and timbre.  Well worth the money.  Something I did not anticipate was a noticeable increase in overall sound stage dimension, both width, and depth.

I have a few questions regarding some of the controls.
I have the PEQ set to off; is this worth playing with and would you use something like a tone test cd to see what stands out?
Low pass slope setting is there a good starting position as it is now set to 50/24.
And last, are the Extension Filter controls even used in our case?

I appreciate the help.

Captainhemo

« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2020, 08:13 pm »
Glad they are working for you   :)

The extension filters  wil play  a part  in  your  setup......  I always start with  14  and  low damping.    I typically leave   the rumble filters left off.
The PEQ maybe useful if you have a    large peack somewhere you want to  remove....   using some  sort of room measuring software is best..... such as REW  to determine   how the response is.

With regards to slope,  right now  with it set to 5024  you  are   dealing with a   24 db/oct  slope ...    you'll be  knocking off 12 db  at 50 and  another  12  at  whatever the  dial is set to.

80/24 is the same but  the    auto knock off  is at  80hz then another   at  the  dial position.

The AVR/12  is a  12 db/oct slope  and  the roll off starts at the  dial position (electrically, in real world you'll  likely  need to be lower  than what  you'd expect).

jay