Bryston 3B NRB

spinback

Bryston 3B NRB
« on: 5 Mar 2020, 01:53 am »
I bought a mint condition Bryston 3B NRB off the Bay for $650.00 and all I can say this thing sounds awesome my question is way does NRB sound so good compared to the newer Bryston ?

I have heard that the NRB series amps had a more laid back sound than the newer Bryston is this true ? or is it just hear-say.

Thanks
spinback

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Bryston 3B NRB
« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2020, 12:24 pm »
I bought a mint condition Bryston 3B NRB off the Bay for $650.00 and all I can say this thing sounds awesome my question is way does NRB sound so good compared to the newer Bryston ?

I have heard that the NRB series amps had a more laid back sound than the newer Bryston is this true ? or is it just hear-say.

Thanks
spinback

Hi spinback,

Great to hear you are enjoying the NRB. (inside joke is what does NRB stand for (no real bass?)  :icon_lol: Also depending on what amplifiers you have used in the past a Bryston is still a Bryston even after many years.

Anyway much of the differences that people perceive as we develop our amplifiers over the years I believe is a result of the changing distortion spectrum.  For the 45 plus years we have been doing this what has changed is the ability to develop much more sophisticated circuits with far more accuracy to the incoming and outgoing musical signal.  So noise floors now are approaching theoretical limits (typically 123dB down) and our understanding of how real world speakers affect the output sections of amplifiers as well as reducing the RF and such on the input stage given our worlds ever increasing electromagnetic interference.

Anyway as the amplifiers get more and more accurate in their ability to pass the input out to the speaker with as few distortions as current technology allows the response in the market will change.  Sometimes that change is reported as positive sometimes as negative. It really depends a lot on the system it is used in and the expectations of the listener. Many times what we are use to becomes our norm. So when we listen to an amplifier that is far more accurate we can sometimes feel that it is not as 'musical' or as 'exciting' as the current amplifier we are using.

Bryston has always strived to provide products that push the accuracy of input vs output envelope and the new Cubed series represents what we feel is a substantial advancement in all the areas we feel matter when reproducing a musical signal.

james

PS - funny story - way back in the 70's we changed the power button on the then 3B from white to black - guess what many people thought it sounded better :thumb:

Hififreak

• www.brystonheritage.com
    • www.hififreaks.nl
« Reply #2 on: 5 Mar 2020, 06:59 pm »
The oldies are also excellent goodies. 

:)

spinback

« Reply #3 on: 5 Mar 2020, 07:38 pm »
Thank you Mr. Tanner  I appreciate l the info about the evolutionary phases of your amplifiers I would also like to rephrase what I said about the 3BNRB sounding better I would like to say it sounds different that’s a better way to say it seems to be not as opened up and as clean as the newer amplifiers maybe that’s what I find appealing as I run Klipsch La Scala’s which are very high sensitivity speakers I believe they were 104DB and a little Bryson just really makes sound really nice.

What could also be happening is the Klpisch La Scala’s are a very sensitive speaker they don’t need much power and having the 3B NRB which I believe is 100 Watts if I’m not mistaken and it just matches well with that particular speaker.

So I am not I saying the new Amplifies do not sound as good as the old ones just different and matching is very important. 

Bryston you make incredible equipment.  :thumb:

Thanks James

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #4 on: 6 Mar 2020, 06:42 pm »
The oldies are also excellent goodies. 

:)

I recognize the B100 there! Great integrated, had one for 5 years.

Hififreak

• www.brystonheritage.com
    • www.hififreaks.nl
« Reply #5 on: 7 Mar 2020, 07:27 am »
No sir!  It's a Bryston BP16DA.

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #6 on: 7 Mar 2020, 12:26 pm »