Greetings

Barrelfish

Greetings
« on: 4 Mar 2020, 12:52 am »
Now entering the Starting Block, well, me.  And me would be, Jeff.  Er, me would be I and I would be Jeff.  Yeah, that's sounds better.  :)

Anyway, I ended up here at AudioCircle after I stumbled on a little company called Salk Sound.  Wow.  From everything I have read, all of their speakers sound amazing and of course, look beautiful.  Not that there is anything wrong with black boxes or something that looks akin to a monster from Doctor Who, of course.  Sound is paramount but looks should matter at least a bit, right?

Kidding aside, I am not a big audio guy but ever since I connected my computer to a Schiit Gungnir and then to a pair of Adam A7x monitors, I realized how much better things can sound versus what I was used to hearing.  Ironically, the need to replace a center channel speaker is what got me looking into options and seeing companies like Power Sound Audio and Salk is what sent me down a path other than funding a replacement with Amazon gift cards!

Okay, enough already.  I look forward to combing the site, lurking in the forum and learning along the way.

Happy listening.

Jeff

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Greetings
« Reply #1 on: 4 Mar 2020, 12:56 am »
Welcome Jeff :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 4 Mar 2020, 12:57 am »
Welcome!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 4 Mar 2020, 01:47 am »
Hi Jeff,

Welcome to Audio Circle.  :D

dwmaggie

• First memory of music was parents Zenith portable.
« Reply #4 on: 4 Mar 2020, 04:11 am »
This site is awesome.  The moderators communicate, very nice indeed.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 4 Mar 2020, 11:48 am »
Welcome!

Yes, Jim Salk is a terribly nice guy and does fantastic veneering work.  He uses quality drivers, Dennis Murphy to design crossovers (although Dennis is not in good health), and Paul Kittinger of DIY fame to design the cabinets (many of his speakers use the advanced transmission line concept).  His internet direct sales method saves money compared to the traditional bricks and mortar approach.  Unfortunately too many buy based on looks versus sound, which unless you can conduct a decent audition (certainly not at an audio show) is hard to do.  So you're left with reading consumer and professional reviews and trying to glean from them what you can. 

I'd say you'll have a hard time substantially bettering the Gungnir/Adam A7X pairing.  (I'm an active speaker fan too.)  Would recommend reading Floyd Toole's "Sound Reproduction" 3rd edition, the consummate audiophile guide for learning how speakers behave in-room before buying more gear.  If possible find a decent (not tiny or squarish) dedicated room and go from there.  When we built 15 years ago I got a "my room" in the basement and designed it for audio: proper shape (Fibonacci ratios); sized as big as possible (limited by ceiling height); insulated it (walls, ceiling, door, ductwork, electrical); then treated it (ten GIK 244 panels - they have a circle here at AC, 3 tall randomly filled bookcases - to act as casual diffusers, and 3 carefully placed subs to limit inherent in-room bass peaks/dips). 

« Last Edit: 4 Mar 2020, 01:06 pm by JLM »

Craig B

« Reply #6 on: 4 Mar 2020, 12:46 pm »
Welcome! I wasn't familiar with Salk, but took a quick look after reading your post. Very nice. Reminds me a bit of some of Paul McGinty's old Meadowlark Audio speaker cabinets.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #7 on: 4 Mar 2020, 03:40 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Jeff   :thumb:

Barrelfish

« Reply #8 on: 5 Mar 2020, 02:12 am »
Thanks to all for the welcome as well as advice already given.

Onward and upward!

Jeff