SMSL M500 DAC

Mudjock

• Sehlin Sound Solutions
SMSL M500 DAC
« on: 22 Feb 2020, 09:35 pm »
In the "More Amazing DAC's for Peanuts" thread, I posed a system building question around using one of the nicely featured, reasonably priced DAC's based on the ES9038Pro DAC chip as a cost-neutral replacement for an older DAC (in my case the SMSL M8a) and an analog preamp (Aragon Soundstage).   I was hoping maybe someone had already gone down that path and had some insight, but didn't get a response that really helped me answer that question. 

So, like a true audiophile, I set out to answer the question for myself using the tried-and-true method of buying another piece of equipment and seeing how it works out.  The candidates I considered were the Sabaj D5, Topping DX7 Pro, and SMSL M500.  I shopped around online and came up with a "preowned" red SMSL M500 from the SMSL factory store (sold through Amazon) for $339.

I received the unit a week ago and proceeded to replace the Aragon preamp and m8a with the M500.  The first issue was that the SMSL supplied remote was dead as a doorstop (yes, I put new batteries in...).  Fortunately someone has put the remote codes into the Logitech Harmony database, so I programmed one of my remotes and moved on to listening.

My system consists of two sources: an old windows pc connected via USB to the M500 and an old Pioneer Elite DVD/SACD player connected via coax.  The M500 is connected via unbalanced outputs to a Rotel RB-991.  The RB-991 has balanced inputs, but I have read several reviews that indicate that the unbalanced inputs sound better for that amp.  I tried both ways coming out of the Aragon and reached the same conclusion.  The RB-991 outputs to an Aton DLA6 switch box, which currently feed 5 DIY speakers of varying size and performance.  As I use this rig for comparing and voicing speakers, I value high resolution and neutrality above anything else.  Over the last few years, the SMSL-Aragon-Rotel-Aton setup has produced results that have held up well when I have designed speakers for others or demoed them at other venues on other equipment - so I am looking to retain similar tonal balance, but gain a little resolution and refinement from the dac upgrade.

When I first fired up the M500, it sounded a little "busy".  Plenty of detail, but a little brash and less natural than the M8a-Aragon combo it replaced.  Over the week, I am happy to report that it has settled down and I am now hearing the micro detail and textures in a way that is relaxed and cohesive.  Tonal balance is comparable, but resolution is enhanced.  This is a win - and there is a lot more space on my equipment rack.

This also has me thinking that if I can replace the RB-991 with something more modern with respect to power and space efficiency, maybe I don't even need an equipment rack or can get away with something much smaller... 

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: SMSL M500 DAC
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2020, 09:43 pm »
Try the DAC Cherry or Maraschino amps for a modern take.  Their 5-Cherry amp would be a good fit if you want to stick with surround.

Mudjock

• Sehlin Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: 23 Feb 2020, 02:54 am »
The M500 is a stereo device, so I would only need two channels.  From everything I've heard, the Digital Amplifier Company products would be viable options.  Cheerful (and a good match for my red anodized M500), but not Cheap.  As I run a variety of speaker designs through my system, I am more comfortable when I have a good amount of power on tap.  That would probably put me into at least King Maraschino territory, which is currently running around $1,700. 

For something more along the lines of Cheap and Cheerful, I have been thinking about the OEM Hypex modules like the NC252MP or NC502MP.  My brother has NC400 monoblocks and they sound clean and neutral, but miss the "Cheap" mark as well.  I've even thought about the TPA3255-based amp boards, although I would prefer a little more power.

witchdoctor

« Reply #3 on: 23 Feb 2020, 03:39 am »
Thanks for posting this, have you tried any MQA files yet? As for a cheap and cheeful amp I would recommend the Paradigm PW Amp for $249 (50% off). It has RCA in for your DAC and comes with ARC room correction and a sub out.

https://www.paradigm.com/en/wireless/pw-amp

cujobob

« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2020, 02:53 pm »
Thanks for posting this, have you tried any MQA files yet? As for a cheap and cheeful amp I would recommend the Paradigm PW Amp for $249 (50% off). It has RCA in for your DAC and comes with ARC room correction and a sub out.

https://www.paradigm.com/en/wireless/pw-amp

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-paradigm-pw-amp.7728/

I'd love a good Class D amp with room correction, but this one was not well designed. Honestly, these days the Class D amplifiers have gotten so good, I'd urge people to up their budgets (if serious about audio) and just be done with amplifier upgrades for the forseeable future. Get something like a Hypex Ncore NC, there are a few places that sell fully built amps for $500 or so and you can build one yourself for even less. High end performance and efficiency.

witchdoctor

« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2020, 06:25 pm »
I read that review, this amp is a steal at 50% off ($249), it sounds much more $$$ than the going price. If you want to spend double you may will NOT get double the SQ and may even get worse.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2020, 12:44 am »
A while ago I was looking for a small, inexpensive dac and at the recommendation of a friend here I bought a Topping D70, and an SMSL U8. Both dacs are excellent to my ear, but I seem to prefer the SMSL. Listening to it now.

For a small amp, maybe consider this: https://www.xtzsound.us/product/edge-a2-300?technical.