Yorkville U15

bdepasse

Yorkville U15
« on: 22 Feb 2020, 06:45 pm »
Russel Dawkins in a related post stated "This is an interesting topic - whether a pro PA speaker can be domesticated. I was wondering the same just recently after doing a little research into the field."

I consider myself an audiophile but unlike most, I believe it's impossible to be one without understanding how music is recorded. Yes, I am also a recording engineer. In my experience, unless you have this understanding and experience of how sound is recorded, mixed and mastered, you are at a complete loss of proper vocabulary to even describe what you are actually hearing. The intention of recording is to capture the perfect performance so that you, the listener, have the opportunity to play it back in as close as possible, level, dynamics and spacial cues to feel like you are there - within the limits of course of recording -and there are serious limits. For example, unless someone is using a stereo mic or an X/Y mic technique to create separation like you ears ear, you are in most cases listening to panned mono. More on that in later posts.

That being said, In all of my years of listening to everything from Genelec, Dynaudio, Yamaha NS, KEF, Focal, Bowers & Wilkins, JBL, Polk, etc… you name it, I've heard it - On all types of combinations of amplifiers from Mark Levinson to Adcom, McIntosh to Rotel and everything in between.

The Yorkville U15s are the most amazing set of speakers I've heard. Clean, Dynamic, Accurate, and Alive. They need a sub since their natural roll-off is around 50hz. I use JBL 4641 subs. Hands down best sub for the money at 3 times the price. Yes they are ported, but all you sealed guys like to pontificate about theories and parameters that, if you have the right amplifier, never show up in listening.

As far as some of the comments people have said about needing serious EQing or phase plugs, you're crazy. It's your room guaranteed. Your room must be acoustically treated before you can fairly evaluate a set of loudspeakers let alone a recording. I have RealTraps bass traps and my room sounds stunning. My Listening Room system consists of Yorkville U15 crossed over at 70Hz at 48dB/8ve through a Mini DSP 4x8 HD and complimented with JBL 4641s underneath them. A Crown K2 on the JBLs and two SanyoPlus P55s bridged mono for the U15s. Yes, SanyoPlus! They will slaughter anything else for crystal clarity on mids and highs. With a slew rate of 300V/msec, they are as transient as an amplifier gets. And NO EQ on anything. I'll challenge any system out there any day of the week.

It's amazing to feel like you've finally arrived in audio bliss! To answer Russel's first comment, yes PA speakers can be tamed and actually should be used. There's no way a soft dome can keep up with these.

I'll take any questions and comments and look forward to being a part of this great audio circle!!

Brad

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Yorkville U15
« Reply #1 on: 22 Feb 2020, 07:04 pm »
Welcome  Brad :thumb:
I sure this Yorkville U15 are great for studio.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 22 Feb 2020, 08:10 pm »
Welcome!

bdepasse

« Reply #3 on: 22 Feb 2020, 09:49 pm »
Thank you Phil!!

mr_bill

« Reply #4 on: 23 Feb 2020, 12:52 am »
Brad - the Yorkvilles are passive models?

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 23 Feb 2020, 01:44 am »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Brad   :thumb:

bdepasse

« Reply #6 on: 23 Feb 2020, 05:22 pm »
mr_bill - Yes these are passive. They are a 3 way using unity horns conceived of by Tom Danley from Danley Audio Labs.

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/33088708/unity-catalog-yorkville-sound

https://www.danleysoundlabs.com/products/loud-speakers/synergy-horn/