Your favorite mid-priced cartridge

rmihai0

« on: 15 Feb 2005, 07:31 pm »
What is your favorite cartridge up to $1073 USD?
I will list here couple of them that I am aware of:
- Cartridge Man Music Maker III
- London Decca Supergold
- Grado Master Cartridge
-  Clearaudio Virtuoso  
- Garrott FGS
- Benz Micro Glider  
- Lyra Dorian  
- Dynavector 17D2  
- Sumiko Blackbird MC
- Shelter 501
- ZYX R100H

If I forgot anything out, please forgive me and just mention it.

Thank you for taking time to participate.

Panelhead

Re: Your favorite mid-priced cartridge
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2005, 08:20 pm »
Quote from: rmihai0
What is your favorite cartridge up to $1073 USD?
I will list here couple of them that I am aware of:
- Cartridge Man Music Maker III
- London Decca Supergold
- Grado Master Cartridge
-  Clearaudio Virtuoso  
- Garrott FGS
- Benz Micro Glider  
- Lyra Dorian  
- Dynavector 17D2  
- Sumiko Blackbird MC
- Shelter 501
- ZYX R100H

If I forgot anything out, please forgive me and just mention it.

Thank you for taking time to participate.

Do not forget the Denon DL-103R. It is much better than the normal DL-103, which itself is not too far from the ones listed.

George

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2005, 02:57 pm »
To me this is the hardest choice in audio to make because it is virtually impossible to audition to compare.  The only hope you have of finding the right cart for you is to ask experienced guys what they have owned and how they would describe the differences.   I don't fall into this camp as I have only owned 3 carts to date of varying price classes.  If you trust your dealer, then they might be helpful as well.

I am not sure how much feedback you will get from many hear as your price class would preclude many here (most tend to be more budget minded) and those who own carts in that class probably haven't heard too many.  Here is one of the few times where I would point you elsewhere in your researching, try audioasylum's vinyl forum.  Lots of seasoned pros in the vinyl arena there.  However, keep your filtering cap on.  

Good luck in your search and if it is of any concellation, many/most carts of reasonable price class are quite good, typically better than an equally expensive CD player.

mgalusha

« Reply #3 on: 16 Feb 2005, 03:11 pm »
You might want to give Klaus at Odyssey Audio a call. He's the new US importer for van den Hul and he tends to have some amazing deals from time to time and can give you good advice, even if the product isn't one he sells. He pretty much doesn't do email, so a phone call, late in the day is your best bet if you want to contact him. (317) 299-5578

Disclaimer - I don't have any association with Klaus other than being a happy customer and a friend.

Mike

hifitommy

?mid priced
« Reply #4 on: 26 Feb 2005, 10:02 pm »
try the atOC9.  check the action at audioasylum.com in the vinyl asylum.  i have an older one, the newer ones have a boron cantilever, a plus.  this is on the lower sid of mid as you seem to see it.

claud

« Reply #5 on: 24 Mar 2005, 04:11 am »
People I respect at Audio Asylum such as Ken Lyon (Neuance shelfs) say that the Dynavector Karat 17D2 is about as good as it gets unless you want to spend the big $$$$.

hifitommy

in comparison
« Reply #6 on: 24 Mar 2005, 04:19 am »
the 17d IS big bucks.  four times as many.  i would dearly LOVE one but an ortofon Kontrapunkt b would have to come ny way first, cheeeeeper than the 17d and maybe as good or better.  

my stance on the oc9II remains, a BARGAIN, but so is the Kb!  jeezuz i wish i had unlimited funds.