Laptops Users: CAUTION

Adarsh

« on: 15 Feb 2005, 06:12 pm »
I wasn't able to detect this with my speakers and amplifier but some weeks ago when I was using earphones with my my laptop I could hear small noises while the processor was operating and when the touchpad moved.

I suspect that there is this interference due to all the electronics being in such close proximity inside. I was using regular Sony earphone MDR-133 from a discman. I didn't detect the noises on complete Sony speaker/amp system.

Anyone experienced this before?

Adarsh

Taz13

« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2005, 07:47 pm »
Go to battery power and see if the noise is still there. If it disappears then your problem is a ground loop and you need a cheater plug. Mine is a Dell XPS and needs the cheater plug. If it is still there then it is probably the onboard integrated sound.

Rich Carlson

« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2005, 11:18 pm »
I don't experience this with my current laptop (a Dell Latitude D600), but found the headphone outputs noisy on my previous two (an IBM Thinkpad and a Toshiba something-or-other).  Though trying Taz13's suggestion is worthwhile, I think the truth is that laptop makers haven't been too concerned with good sound.

BillyM

« Reply #3 on: 16 Feb 2005, 01:21 am »
You will not get good audio out of a laptop without moving to a USB-based digital intermediary.  Google search a company called "M-Audio" and look for their product "Transit"....  Seems to do the trick for the laptop users I've spoken with.

--BillyM

Adarsh

« Reply #4 on: 16 Feb 2005, 02:00 pm »
Bad news.

Tried to switch my laptop on today, and it didn't work. Nothing. Tried all battery and mains connections.

There was a short power outage, it went and came quickly. Laptop was connected to amplifier. I suspect the power from the amplifier came into the laptop from that connection, no telling, it's an old amp.

Any help appreciated, leaving for school tomorrow, without the laptop I guess.  :|

BillyM

« Reply #5 on: 16 Feb 2005, 03:21 pm »
Sounds like a good chance to build a real computer.  8)

...that was the Audio-Gods' way of telling you laptops are icky for music.

Take the hint (omen).

--BillyM