Extended warranty on a desktop computer

Emil

« on: 14 Feb 2005, 03:19 pm »
Hi Guys
Circuit city is offering a 2 year deal for $199.
Anyone here recommend it? Anyone have a problem getting something fixed under the warranty? Any "weasel clauses" I should be aware of?
The computer itself (Hewlitt Pack) comes with a 1 year warranty but the salesman says that going through HP for warranty service is a major hassle with waits as long as a month to even have them look at it.

What say you?

Thanks

Brad

« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2005, 03:22 pm »
For a desktop, I don't think the extra warranty is worth it.

As far as HP warranty service goes, you can take it to any HP authorized vendor you choose - we get 1-2 day turnarounds when we need desktops serviced.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2005, 03:23 pm »
How much is the PC you're looking at?  Maybe someone else can chime in with some better advice, but it doesn't seem like a great deal to me.  What's most likely to break on a PC?  I'm thinking the PSU, or possible a HD could fail.  I'm thinking you'd be better off just replacing those yourself, especially if HP needs a month just to look at it.  Unlike Dell, HP machines are built with pretty much off-the-shelf parts (at least mine was).

I could be wrong, but I think I'd pass on the warranty.

cjr888

« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2005, 03:43 pm »
Willing to comment on the total cost of your PC, how long you typically keep PCs, and how much of a PC person you are?

If you're not much of a computer person, and the $199 includes service and not just parts replacement, its probably not a bad idea.  If/when something does go wrong, within the first year you can probably get parts replacement under manufacturer warranty, but if you aren't a PC person, and end up having to pay a ridiculous fee to have someone install it, saving the money upfront isn't worth it.

Also see if it covers everything -- ie. monitor as well and if it functions like a standard manufacturer's warranty, or also covers human error.

If you're looking for a low-end PC, where the warranty ends up being half of the PC cost, don't bother -- if a year and a half from now, something goes wrong, buy a new PC at equivalent price, which will be twice as fast, and not that much more than the warranty, for your now obsolete computer.

These days, unless you have a specific need for the fastest thing on the block, whether for games or number crunching, I think you're best finding a great deal on something middle of the road fron a half-decent name, and accepting that you'll probably replace it two-three years from now.  I'd rather buy a $400 PC now, and another $400 PC two years from now than spend more upfront thinking that the 'extra' investment will last me that much longer.

Unless the deal is truly amazing, look to Dell deals and browse the 'Hot Deals' forum at www.fatwallet.com.  Deals seem to rotate every week and a half to two weeks, and you'll often see some rather amazing deals on excellent systems including much more than what you'd see at the superstores.

Emil

« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2005, 05:37 pm »
Thanks Guys
I paid a little about $1100 for the computer and LCD monitor. the ext. warranty covers both. $700 for computer and $400 for 19inch LCD monitor. Printer was free and is also included in the ext warranty.
I tend to keep my computer for a long time. My previous computer, also an HP, was trouble free for the 6 years that Ive owned it.
I mainly use my computer for internet, word processing and CD burning.

Brad
CC is an authorized vendor. After 14 days, if I dont choose the ext warrantee, its between me and HP for service.
Do you feel desktops are more prone to breakdown than laptops?

CJR88

Re: human error
One of my concerns is getting infected with a virus that destroys the
harddrive. I need to find out if that is covered. Of course I'll be using an antivirus but things can happen.
The $199 even includes a repairman sent to my home if probelems cannot be solved over the phone.

I guess its a gamble. If I need service, it would be a good decision.
Then again, I still have HPs own 1 year warranty.

Do I feel lucky?

bubba966

« Reply #5 on: 14 Feb 2005, 05:45 pm »
Is this a 2 year warranty that takes effect now, or after the HP warranty expires?

If it takes effect now, you're effectively buying a 1 year warranty for $200. Which seems like a bit of a ripoff to me.

Brad says his experience with repairing HP's is that it takes 1-2 days. Doesn't seem so bad to me.

Not to mention my experience with HP's tells me that they're built with good quality off the shelf parts. If it's gonna break, it'll do so before the 1 year is over.

Can't say that I'd pay the $ for the CC warranty...

Brad

« Reply #6 on: 14 Feb 2005, 06:02 pm »
CC seems to be pushing the warranty pretty hard for you.  I'd stick with the standard 1 yr on the desktop.

Desktops are more likely to have commodity-level parts for repairs.
We get the 3 yr warranty on our laptops, which are much more prone to service calls (and user abuse)

If you live in a large city, you will likely have quite a few HP service vendors to choose from in the event you need service.
Most of them are eager to keep HP's service biz and work pretty hard to make you happy.

Charles Calkins

« Reply #7 on: 14 Feb 2005, 06:18 pm »
I bought an H-P a710n computer from Frys last October. A five year warranty that covers everything cost $80. $199 for two years sounds a little bit steep tp me.

Cheers
                         Charlie

Emil

« Reply #8 on: 14 Feb 2005, 06:19 pm »
I leaning towards not buying it.
Many consumer advocates recommend not buying one. They also say selling extended warranties is very profitable for them so its no wonder they push it.
HPs one year warranty is good enough. I guess its like tubes. If you get a bad one, it will fail sooner than later.

Thanks again guys

bubba966

« Reply #9 on: 14 Feb 2005, 06:40 pm »
Quote from: Charles Calkins
I bought an H-P a710n computer from Frys last October. A five year warranty that covers everything cost $80. $199 for two years sounds a little bit steep tp me.

$80 for 5 years seems most reasonable. At that price I'd probably go with one as well.

I've only ever once bought an extended warranty as I've not ever had a need for one yet. I bought a 5 year parts/service/maintenence warranty for my receiver. The receiver already had a 2 year facorty warranty. But as the 5 year warranty was only $90 (for a $2,500 receiver) and it covered the LCD touchpanel remote ($400 on it's own :o ), I thought it might be an acceptable expense as I wasn't sure how durable the remote would be. So far I've not needed it after 4 or so years of nearly daily use of the receiver. And if I don't use it, I can get my $90 back when the warranty is over. I've just gotta remember to come in within 30 days after the end of the warranty to get the refund... :roll:

Charles Calkins

« Reply #10 on: 14 Feb 2005, 07:25 pm »
Yo Bubba966!!

I'll bet you got that deal at Onecall.

Cheers
                         Charlie

bubba966

« Reply #11 on: 14 Feb 2005, 07:30 pm »
Nope, got it from a local place (Magnolia Hi-Fi).

Bemopti123

« Reply #12 on: 22 Feb 2005, 11:16 pm »
I would vouch against any extended warranty on a PC, desktop and what not.  I have stiffed $145 for an extended warranty on my less than 2 years old $1600 Dell Desktop, just to figure out that their technical service is at best inept.  They simply look for the easiest solution without giving technical advice that will have the issue resolved.  They are prone in blaming malfunction of software on a third party and more.  My USB ports began to fail reading my digital camera and flash readers, after they were working flawlessly.  It must have been the XP2 service pack, but they should have been able to guide me in the right direction.  I almost sent the Olympus camera back for fixing for no reason.

The lesson is that it is not worth it.  How someone I know well said before, computers and specially the software that come with them usually becomes corrupted within 2 years....and if you read the warranty well, some of them wash their hand off from the user (you) being responsable for altering the settings of the software, thus causing the trouble.  That pretty much means, most of the cases.  

I do not think that extended warranties mean much.  Rather, have friends who are into IT or Computers, they can do much better than these technicians you are paying for with the warranty.